Hole in the oil pan, strange debris, but drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnalbe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a Tahoe 2007 5.3 LS Flex for restoration from the auction and it's a first day.

So far,
I got this crazy hole in the oil pan (should be an oil pan)..

And some strange debris that I found under the engine bay after I moved the truck.
Car actually drives :eek: and doesn't sound crazy (4 cyl, I was afraid to turn into 8)
so it shouldn't be crankshaft or whatever. I hope.

Will try to remove whatever is left of the oil pan and look further.
Hi guys, I got a Tahoe 2007 5.3 LS Flex for restoration from the auction and it's a first day.

So far,
I got this crazy hole in the oil pan (should be an oil pan)..

And some strange debris that I found under the engine bay after I moved the truck.
Car actually drives :eek: and doesn't sound crazy (4 cyl, I was afraid to turn into 8)
so it shouldn't be crankshaft or whatever. I hope.

Will try to remove whatever is left of the oil pan and look further.
You've got a hole in oil pan with a wrist pin in three pieces, and you say it runs ?? That's impossible ! Unless it's running on 7 holes. Where did the oil go? That hole must be high up on pan.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got a hole in oil pan with a wrist pin in three pieces, and you say it runs ?? That's impossible ! Unless it's running on 7 holes. Where did the oil go? That hole must be high up on pan.

Yes, it did. I guess 5.3 is a bulletproof engine.
I didn't try to drive even a mile but I drove around the block and parked it when I got the car from the dolly.
The whole bottom of the pan is gone. Literally. I just didn't see it until my dad's friend got involved and help me with it. Bottom parts of the piston were in pieces on the crams of the oil pan, camshaft looks like was hammered. Literally blew up the whole thing.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, my hardware expenses are

- new engine including everything expect minor stuff
also
- new pump
- new pulleys
- new belts
- new tensioner
- new wires
- new trans lines
- new injectors
- new plugs
- new brake pads
- new rotors
- new differential cover
- air deflector
- obliviously fluids
- about 4 gallons of chemicals to clean the car (as I mentioned earlier, people were eating and throwing food on the floor for years, found bones, chicken and beef, fries, something that got decomposed that hard to say what was that, different garbage and etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it did. I guess 5.3 is a bulletproof engine.
I didn't try to drive even a mile but I drove around the block and parked it when I got the car from the dolly.
The whole bottom of the pan is gone. Literally. I just didn't see it until my dad's friend got involved and help me with it. Bottom parts of the piston were in pieces on the crams of the oil pan, camshaft looks like was hammered. Literally blew up the whole thing.

Which RPO code was your original engine? LY5, LMG or LC9?

Do you have any desire for more power? Now is the time to do it and it may not cost that much. You can modify your donor 5.3 or get hold of a different engine.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which RPO code was your original engine? LY5, LMG or LC9?

Do you have any desire for more power? Now is the time to do it and it may not cost that much. You can modify your donor 5.3 or get hold of a different engine.

Unfortunately I am completely drained. $40 left in my pockets. So, whatever I'd like to do, I'd have to keep it for later .

GMCed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wrist pin. It must have seized piston I can only imagine what's left of a broken rod spinning on the crank if it's still running.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrist pin. It must have seized piston I can only imagine what's left of a broken rod spinning on the crank if it's still running.

yes, you're right.
on #1 was nothing down there, just crams of metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442