Hole in the oil pan, strange debris, but drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This is after he replaces the block, right? At least that’s what you originally said. I want whatever you’re on !
If the block is still good, I think he should keep it, if not--worst case scenario--if the 1 cylinder is scored--if cheap enough--maybe he could sleeve it. Although I've never had to sleeve a block personally, so I don't know how much it would cost. You said a short block is cheap. How much is cheap? One man's cheap is another man's not so cheap.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell used in junkyards here from around $1000-$1500. The Gen III engines are even cheaper, those go for 4-6 hundred unless it's a 6.0, the 6.0s fetch a bit more.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after putting the engine on the parts, the result: the block is dead.

so whoever had this car, tried to save it.
it was misfiring and they changed the lifters (they're brand new) but didn't go further.
The camshaft was damaged already and it was still misfiring, this is why they sold it on the auction.

If they could dig lower they would save the engine. Cyl #1 was filling up with the gas (#1 is perfectly clean) and when it got into critical level cyl #1 blew up. Crashed everything was in the #1 also the oilpan, damaged further the camshaft, destroyed the block (yes, it's donnnnne and I can't believe it still was driving).

Today/tomorrow time to remove it completely and this weekend hopefully a new one will be in place. all the parts are here including 5.3.

also,
all the rotors are warped, brakes gone, back shocks are leaking oil, differential cover looks like it's 300 years old. just figured out that the front air deflector is missing, will purchase.
hopefully by this weekend will be able to put the truck together and give it a test drive.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
after putting the engine on the parts, the result: the block is dead.

so whoever had this car, tried to save it.
it was misfiring and they changed the lifters (they're brand new) but didn't go further.
The camshaft was damaged already and it was still misfiring, this is why they sold it on the auction.

If they could dig lower they would save the engine. Cyl #1 was filling up with the gas and when it got into critical level cyl #1 blew up. Crashed everything was in the #1 also the oilpan, damaged further the camshaft, destroyed the block (yes, it's donnnnne and I can't believe it still was driving).

Today/tomorrow will remove it completely and this weekend hopefully will put a new one. all the parts are here including same 5.3.

also,
all the rotors are warped, brakes gone, back shocks are leaking oil, differential cover looks like it's 300 years old. just figured out that the front air deflector is missing, will purchase.
hopefully by this weekend will be able to put the truck together and give it a test drive.
Hopefully you didn't pay alot for it. Def need some pics of all of the destruction.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to buy angel eyes like one of forum members had...

3053a9e4c4044568feddf5b298d16ee1.jpg

and now :eek: 30 bucks in my pockets. the damage wiped everything. no fancy angel eyes for me lol

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I was hoping to see pictures of the carnage! :Whoa: Anyway, sounds like the rod broke, but the lower end of the rod stayed on the crank so you didn't lose too much oil pressure, hence the ability to drive it some. But it would be interesting to see.

Many salvage yards local to me charge a core charge when you purchase an engine, so you take your 'core' for the refund. Not sure how they do things where you are.