Hole in the oil pan, strange debris, but drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. It really helps and I don't feel alone with the challenge.

I will drop down the pan, will see if there some disaster, if not I will remove the head and see what's going on with the pistons from the top.

If what you suggested and (I feel like it's 99.9% correct), I guess I would need to make a decision, look for a re-manufactured engine which I found about 2600-2900 or look for a junkyard one, but on eBay they sell them no less than 1400-1500. I question myself if it worth to get an unknown engine for such money.

Any advice would be highly appreciated
Yeah I doubt there’s any saving that engine. Curious as to what you see when you drop the pan. Just the lack of oil would make me leery even if the cylinder wall looks ok. At the least it would need a complete rebuild.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned already, at the very LEAST the engine would need a COMPLETE rebuild. Then you have to add in the cost of hard parts that are usually re-used in a rebuild but in your case they are damaged. Things like the oil pan, most likely at least one rod, plus who knows if it damaged the crankshaft or not. Plus the biggest question, had the block been damaged to the point where it's not a candidate to be rebuilt? By the time you pay a machine shop to confirm all of this, that you will need another engine, you will be out some cash. IMO, I wouldn't even waste the time or money having that engine even looked at by a machine shop. I would just find a reasonably priced used engine and go that route. Plus it should come with the oil pan!

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt there’s any saving that engine. Curious as to what you see when you drop the pan. Just the lack of oil would make me leery even if the cylinder wall looks ok. At the least it would need a complete rebuild.

I found piston parts, smashed oil pan, and stuff inside. :okay2:

pictures will be below later tonight.

engine definitely for rebuilt or swap. easier way would be swap i guess.
will keep you posted.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned already, at the very LEAST the engine would need a COMPLETE rebuild. Then you have to add in the cost of hard parts that are usually re-used in a rebuild but in your case they are damaged. Things like the oil pan, most likely at least one rod, plus who knows if it damaged the crankshaft or not. Plus the biggest question, had the block been damaged to the point where it's not a candidate to be rebuilt? By the time you pay a machine shop to confirm all of this, that you will need another engine, you will be out some cash. IMO, I wouldn't even waste the time or money having that engine even looked at by a machine shop. I would just find a reasonably priced used engine and go that route. Plus it should come with the oil pan!

absolutely agree.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I found piston parts, smashed oil pan, and stuff inside. :okay2:

pictures will be below later tonight.

engine definitely for rebuilt or swap. easier way would be swap i guess.
will keep you posted.
Maybe once you replace, you could save the block if it isn't too bad. You could always sleeve it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is cheap? He has it already tho--if it's good.
Yeah but if he buys another one why would he waste money sleeping a wrecked block? At that point he doesn’t need it and it’s not worth sh*t because it’s damaged so he can’t sell it. Or are you saying he needs 2 engines? I’m confused. :crazy:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons