Hole in the oil pan, strange debris, but drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Bullet hole from transplant motor and some of the shwag that fell into the bay during the process. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im in agreement but how would it still drive?
Considering the hole in the oil pan and that there is no oil left, it won’t start for very much longer. The wrist pin holds the piston to the rod. crank is still spinning and moving the 7 other rods and pistons normally, even the broken one to an extent, so it will start, run and drive......until the bearings seize due to lack of Oil.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the hole in the oil pan and that there is no oil left, it won’t start for very much longer. The wrist pin holds the piston to the rod. crank is still spinning and moving the 7 other rods and pistons normally, even the broken one to an extent, so it will start, run and drive......until the bearings seize due to lack of Oil.

I definitely wouldn't do that :eek:, but I will pull down the oil pan today and will see what is going on from the bottom. Can be a little bit challenging due to the damage but will see.
I have a feeling that whoever had this car (according to the crams, fries, chicken nuggets and etc) was running on low oil and it cause that damage. So, if it is, I would need to change all the pistons, wrists and etc. If I understand it right, if I would fix just one, others could pop any time. Nobody knows what damage was done to that engine generally.

Based on all of that that I guess I would need to make a decision if that engine worth for restoration or I would have to swap it (huh pricey).

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't do that :eek:, but I will pull down the oil pan today and will see what is going on from the bottom. Can be a little bit challenging due to the damage but will see.

Based on that I guess I would need to make a decision if that engine worth for restoration or I would have to swap it (huh pricey).
If the rest of tge truck is good, body and drivetrain... get a junkyard motor and toss it in. Considering the wrist pin broken, at the minimum that cylinder is toast. Id start looking for a motor. Imo

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that whoever had this car (according to the crams, fries, chicken nuggets and etc) was running on low oil and it cause that damage. So, if it is, I would need to change all the pistons, wrists and etc. Nobody knows what damage was done to that engine generally.

Based on all of that that I guess I would need to make a decision if that engine worth for restoration or I would have to swap it (huh pricey).

The piston has come apart as had the wrist pin and the rod is banging against the cylinder wall. I don't think a hone would fix that! You're best bet is to get the engine out onto a stand and take it apart for a detailed inspection. I reckon though that it will cost less to replace it than to repair it but you won't know for sure until you open it up.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. It really helps and I don't feel alone with the challenge.

I will drop down the pan, will see if there some disaster, if not I will remove the head and see what's going on with the pistons from the top.

If what you suggested and (I feel like it's 99.9% correct), I guess I would need to make a decision, look for a re-manufactured engine which I found about 2600-2900 or look for a junkyard one, but on eBay they sell them no less than 1400-1500. I question myself if it worth to get an unknown engine for such money.

Any advice would be highly appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal