High Mileage Invest Money Or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
update: day after I got the Tahoe back I had a pancake size PS leak under the car. The shop put another new rack in it which solved the issue at no charge.

honestly the truck runs better than ever with the new rack, ujoints, and new exhaust manifolds.

THAT SAID, it appears my front axles are still leaking (they replaced the seals). Anyone have thoughts on if maybe they did something wrong or if their are worse seals than others? Or maybe my axles are worn down? I am dropping it back off this afternoon for the axles seals to be investigated.

0657C211-5E06-4E01-A575-FBF6F4A85B13.jpeg AF842FD4-4F71-4D71-9C70-067EE3875DF4.jpeg

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall if you had a full rebuild of the front axle or not, however if the bearings behind the seals are sloppy, it would quickly wipe out the new seals.

While trying to nurse my S10 along, while replacing the seals i noticed a ton of slop.
ended up replacing the bearings that i could extract WO full disassembly of the axle, I ran it for years like that. Still to this day no leaks. :D
it also cured vibration that would only occur once in a while at freeway speeds.

Now if you did have the bearings replaced with the seals, then it's possible the seal was "rolled" a little when installing.
That would prevent the seal from doing it's job.

I also learned to take something like 800 grit on the shaft surface prior to fully reinstalling.
Usually i'll do it dry for the first few light swipes, and then finish it up with some oil (like WD-40), or even water will work.
Gives it a nice smooth shiny surface.
Idea is to pretty much knock off some of the rut that forms from the original seal, i like to work a nice (light) crosshatch into the surface.
I don't go crazy, just smoothing it out a little.
I have even used 600 and 1000 grit, pretty much what ever i have laying around, but i don't like to go below 600 grit.
I don't know if it's correct or not, however i have had very good luck doing it. ;)

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, there is a spec for the shaft.
at some point you may need to just replace the shaft.

However, doing the above method, i have reused shafts that had a pretty good rut formed from the seal...

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, they only replaced the seals. Maybe they need to do the bearings. Ill ask them about it. Thanks!

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Got the Tahoe back, they say they installed delco seals the first time and this time was something from nappa. So far no leaks and the shop says the front axles are fine. I tried moving them myself but i mean, i dont even think a micrometer could measure the little movement I got out of either side of the Front axles.

i am going to put some miles on it and see how everything holds up then report back.

Oh! And here is a video of the 18” Magnaflow I had installed:

Raptor Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 4x4 with 185k miles. Its rough around the edges but everything works. Ive put 20k miles on it in the last year so it is still reliable and runs fine

my question is, I am debating on putting 3-4k into it to get some of these items fixed or do I just let it keep leaking/slowly breaking down. Or, do I sell it and get something else. I imagine some of you have crossed this bridge at one time or another and curious if you regretted investing the money or vice versa.

current issues:
-oil pan leak
-rear main cover leak (i think)
-front diff leaks out of both axles
-exhaust manifold small leak (both sides)
-Rack and Pinion Leak and worn mounting bushing
-driver seat front tilt doesnt work (might not fix)

Additional Items I would like to have done:
-install magnaflow 18” muffler
-Install transmission cooler (going to tow boat and toys)
-maybe install new driver seat with heat and cooling not sure the cost
-replace ujoints as I think they are still factory.

Parts I have already replaced:
-rotors all around
-both front wheel hubs
-both front cv axles
-both tie rod ends
-driver motor mount
-master cylinder
-valve cover gasket passenger
-valve cover (new design) driver side
-passenger brake caliper
-windshield
-belts
-plugs
-both front upper control arms
-front struts
-rear shocks
-headunit with apple carplay
-fresh ac recharge
-battery

Keep it and fix it! I have an 07 Tahoe with 200K miles and just keep making it better. The more you fix and mod it, the better you know the vehicle. Have learned a ton on this forum and saved a lot on 07 fixes. Good luck with your Tahoe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts