High idle during braking, rough downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo4411

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi first post here. 2009 tahoe blew a head gasket last month. I am mechanically inclined but didn’t have the motivation to do it myself. I took it to a local shop which was backed up on work and it took him 3 weeks to even get started on it. I finally got it back 2 days ago and I am noticing now an idle that takes a few seconds to come down to normal operating idle speed when i come off the pedal. I notice it most when breaking for stop signs, idle is too high and causes a rough/ hard downshift. When i put it in park it takes a few seconds for the idle to come down to normal rpm but it does eventually. I could take it back to the shop but I don’t really want to wait another 3 wks for him to get to it. Just wondering if there’s something i can look for myself. Maybe vacuum leaks somewhere or an adjustment? Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi first post here. 2009 tahoe blew a head gasket last month. I am mechanically inclined but didn’t have the motivation to do it myself. I took it to a local shop which was backed up on work and it took him 3 weeks to even get started on it. I finally got it back 2 days ago and I am noticing now an idle that takes a few seconds to come down to normal operating idle speed when i come off the pedal. I notice it most when breaking for stop signs, idle is too high and causes a rough/ hard downshift. When i put it in park it takes a few seconds for the idle to come down to normal rpm but it does eventually. I could take it back to the shop but I don’t really want to wait another 3 wks for him to get to it. Just wondering if there’s something i can look for myself. Maybe vacuum leaks somewhere or an adjustment? Thanks
Give it some more time. It takes several drive cycles for the system to relearn. If in a few more weeks it's still doing the same thing, check back with us.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if there is no cel then I would get a new air filter, clean the intake including the maf and throttle body for starters. while you are doing that go ahead and disconnect the battery this may make it "relearn" the idle.
should only take about 30 minutes tops and a the cost for a new filter and can of maf cleaner and throttle body cleaner those are $3-5 each and last a long time.
head gasket blowing is pretty rare for these engines.

OP
OP
R

Remo4411

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys but I found it. There was a hose that he must’ve forgotten to reconnect just behind the throttle body on the intake. It was hissing. Hooked it back up and everything is back to normal. For once i caught a break. 187000 miles I hope I get many more. Thanks again

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Yea, while I was with @Geotrash and @Doubeleive on their recommendations, I was also going to suggest what I done here so many times in the past, "reinspect the previous work done during the head gasket work". Glad you found the problem and all is great again.

By the way, was the MAF/MAP and throttle body cleaned during the previous work? It should have been while it was all apart.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys but I found it. There was a hose that he must’ve forgotten to reconnect just behind the throttle body on the intake. It was hissing. Hooked it back up and everything is back to normal. For once i caught a break. 187000 miles I hope I get many more. Thanks again
Nice! Thanks for the follow-up.