High Idle After Tune Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twoleos617

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced plugs, wires, and air filter.
After a 10 mile test drive, the truck is idleing at 1k rpm. The truck is running great down the road and very responsive.
I put in Autolite XP irridium's, Bosch wires, and Spectre filter.
I know the plugs are supposed to be gapped at .040 but these plugs were at .055. i was told these plug's gap could not be changed.
Upon first start, it had a very slight hesitation and then fired right up and sounded strong.
I reset the Ave. mpg meter in the DIC and on my little test drive, it bounced from 6.2 to 9.1 mpg and everywhere inbetween but never got higher on my test drive. Before the tune up i was averaging 12 mpg city.
I sent the wife to work in it this morning and she said it's running ok but brought up the fact of the higher rpm's too without even knowing about it before hand.

ideas on the rpm's and mpg's?

Thanks,
Mike D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twoleos617

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i thought of that too b/c when i replaced the air filter, i cleaned the throttle body too and thought maybe i left something loose. i couldnt hear any leaks anywhere though.
thanks for the input!

chevyboy831

Reaction score
spray it down with brake cleaner. the fact that u used a platinum plug that is .055" is not really gonna matter for the high idle, but u should get the correct plugs with the correct gap to avoid future problems. I always go oem on chevys, ive had too many comebacks with anything other than that for some reason. i dont like having a comeback over a stupid aftermarket plug. its just a big headache... lol. But in any case, getting a plug with the correct gap is advisable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons