High IAT (Intake air temp)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preach, brother.

Speaking of MAF location and its importance, I had a "speed shop" back in the day try to tell me I should "de-screen my MAF" for more flow. They said GM put that screen on there because they knew kids would be running the engines with no filters trying to get more power and the screen was a secondary filter of sorts. That pretty much ended the convo and any business I was considering having with them.
1o6bh2.jpg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked my logs after installing the headers and the highest IAT was 137F at idle. The HP Tuner came at same time so I don't have any data before that.
I'll post temps when the new Airaid intake tube comes in later this week.
Taz
with the factory installed air intake it's pretty close to the outside temperature..

factory = better CAI

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right i should have said allowed more air to be pulled than the factory tube instead of leaned out. And yes, i suppose as long as the MAF sees the airflow it shouldn't jump to the flex fuel tables for enriching and spark.

But where i meant to go, was that a bolt on 5.3 should not need a different air filter and box. At best a bolt on 5.3 will pull 100% efficiency so 5.3 liters. Thats almost 3 full liters less than the 8.1. If the filter was the restriction gm would have used a different one for the 8.1.
hahaha have you seen how much the throttle body opens at 2,000 rpm on the 6,0L it only opens a 1/4" of an inch ....

the tube size is irrelevant.... you know how many CFM you can pull from that stock tube ? 150CFM+ (4.25-5 cubic meters/min)

• 1.2929 kilograms [kg] of air fit into 1 cubic meter

it takes 51.5 KILOGRAMS( more or less). of air to burn 1 gallon of fuel...

39.6 cubic meters and you get 12MPG, 3.3 cubic meters of air is needed per mile(this can be less or more depending on your mpg.. )

if you have an issue you might have leaves and dirt in the fender panel (this happened before on my 03 impala Lots of potting soil mulch in the fender )

this also might be an issue on the NBS too

apparently there was a design flaw that allowed this to happen where leaves were able to sneak into the fender ....(I used to cover mine with a towel to prevent it from happening )
one of the many design flaws ...

my money is on a faulty MAF/IAT (if the tube size is "bigger" and the screen is removed un-metered air will enter the engine and run lean... the screen straightens the air out allowing for even flow . esp if it's a IAT/MAF combo sensor.

if you got a friend with a nbs tahoe or truck ask to barrow a MAF sensor unit

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxTaz

TxTaz

Reaction score
I installed the Airaid intake tube and the temps dropped to normal. The coolant recirc line just added way too much heat to the pretty aluminum tube. I never would have known until I put my HP tuners scanner on it.
Thank you for all the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys