High IAT (Intake air temp)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxTaz

Reaction score
After installing Pacesetter long tube headers, I think I have a high IAT. I never measured it before but it gets to 125F at a stop light at 72F ambient.
The headers are ceramic and they say not to cover them. I have a cold air kit installed.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Taz

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
What cold air kit are you running, or have pics? Many “cold” air intakes draw warmer air than the factory setup

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing Pacesetter long tube headers, I think I have a high IAT. I never measured it before but it gets to 125F at a stop light at 72F ambient.
The headers are ceramic and they say not to cover them. I have a cold air kit installed.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Taz

What cold air kit are you running, or have pics? Many “cold” air intakes draw warmer air than the factory setup

^^^This. Let's see your cold air kit.

I have ceramic coated headers and a my IATs are usually 1-3 degrees over ambient. Factory "CAI" FTW.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as mentioned above some aftermarket "cai" can be an issue especially since they are being marketed to scam buyers. an aftermarket intake with a small flimsy heat shield is just a short ram intake not a cold air intake. however they are being called cold air intakes. next up is your intake using a dry media or an oiled media filtration. if not allowed to set properly before being used or over oiled can allow some of the oil to be pulled through the intake and will coat the sensors. this coating can cause the sensors themselves to retain heat and give improper readings. give us some more details and pics so we can help you out better.

OP
OP
TxTaz

TxTaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have a feeling you are correct. The intake is aluminum and absorbs heat. I did check with an IR temp gun and got the same reading.
What is a good cold air kit? Preferably one that is nice looking as this is my cancer project and it's going to be really nice.
Thank you,
Taz

ColdAirIntake.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxTaz

TxTaz

Reaction score
I just ordered an Airaid MIT tube. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks for all the information.
Taz

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered an Airaid MIT tube. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks for all the information.
Taz
sorry i must have completely overlooked this thread or I would have came back for some input. a true cold air kit is either going to bring the air filter completely out of the engine compartment. the other versions typically seen with the Volant kits you get a very similar setup as the stock system but with smoother larger tubes and generally without the noise deadening chamber. bare aluminum pipes look nice but they do absorb and hold heat more than other setups. coating the aluminum pipes with a standard engine grade paint helps some. a diy ceramic paint is a bit more involved but can help more.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah warmer IATs when stopped is something you can't avoid where there is no air circulating while sitting still.

OP
OP
TxTaz

TxTaz

Reaction score
Yeah warmer IATs when stopped is something you can't avoid where there is no air circulating while sitting still.
I checked my logs after installing the headers and the highest IAT was 137F at idle. The HP Tuner came at same time so I don't have any data before that.
I'll post temps when the new Airaid intake tube comes in later this week.
Taz

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Airaid MIT with my OEM CAI, which draws air from the wheel well, and not the engine compartment. I have no issues or complaints with this setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm6t