High Beams won't turn off & Rt turn signal on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting write up and like MO VietVet stated very detailed. Glad you and the Dealer got it all sorted out. Mo VietVet is not a big advocate of extended warranties but I am with all the crazy expensive electronics on these newer vehicles and it sounds like it saved you a lot of money. Hopefully you can enjoy your vehicle now with no more problems. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya any kind of short causes all kinds of issue's on these k2's, I was having a problem with the cluster flickering and rebooting, the radio doing all kinds of crazy things the heater going on & off, brake lights flickering, it took a lot to figure out the dealer wanted to blame it on my 3rd party electronics I had installed because of that they wouldn't check the vehicle out under warranty in the end I had to pay 2hrs labor for them to discover my alternator was bad and it was sending 800mv spikes thru the system this made the cluster think I was turning the key on & off and on these trucks the cluster is connected to everything thru a communication bus and the spikes was making it go crazy, they replaced the alternator under warranty and it has been fine since.

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the very detailed story and sequence of events. thanks.
LOL, Thanks- I think I owe you a thanks for reading the epic post(s).
After I posted this, I went through all of the papers I received. The last few pages are the actual GM Service bulletin where they describe the problem (with photos) and show how to "fix" this. "Partially remove the headliner allowing access to the pad, remove the pad and clean the area. Install new pad (sticky backed foam rubber) and reinstall blue tooth microphone and wires, ensuring they are secure". So as I read the actual denial from GMPP, they didn't deny coverage of the parts (it seems they didn't order a new microphone, but removed the padding and put new padding in, this isn't anything special, a sheet of insulation foam you could pick up at any hardware or hobby store) but the labor to "reinstall the bluetooth microphone" is what wasn't covered, at (you guessed it) 160 per hour. So, my deductible plus the hour labor covered the mechanic pulling the headliner down, removing a piece of foam and sticking a new piece of foam into the roof and putting the headliner back. GM quotes this service at 1 hour labor.
After reading this and mentally digesting, I don't think this was my issue... Aside from the occasional no response from the microphone, if I called someone, the other person would not hear me but would get a very loud digital squeal, almost like feedback but far too definitive to be simple static. It sounded like digital interference and would be almost deafening to the person I called, while I could hear them fine. I started to wonder if it wasn't related to the alarm, backfeeding and causing interference on the calls. It was sporadic and was starting to happen more frequently, so I wonder if the two were related.
The Blue tooth worked fine yesterday, I called several people changed radio stations using it. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Hope all of you have/had an excellent week and weekend (whenever you're reading this).
Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya any kind of short causes all kinds of issue's on these k2's, I was having a problem with the cluster flickering and rebooting, the radio doing all kinds of crazy things the heater going on & off, brake lights flickering, it took a lot to figure out the dealer wanted to blame it on my 3rd party electronics I had installed because of that they wouldn't check the vehicle out under warranty in the end I had to pay 2hrs labor for them to discover my alternator was bad and it was sending 800mv spikes thru the system this made the cluster think I was turning the key on & off and on these trucks the cluster is connected to everything thru a communication bus and the spikes was making it go crazy, they replaced the alternator under warranty and it has been fine since.
See? It's that kinda stuff that makes me so suspicious of all of this electronic crap. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I miss the "old" days of the Ignition, Coil, Distributor, Alternator, lights, a radio and blower motors were all the electrical things a car had and a problem meant you could usually chase it down in a few minutes. I know those days are gone and while I do enjoy the bells and whistles and all of the stuff these things can do now- A simple problem can cause a cascading failure, which can mask itself among a variety of problems and is very difficult to diagnose or find. I keep relating it to the movie "Passengers", with Jennifer Lawrence :gr_grin: and Chris Pratt. A small hiccup and suddenly all the life-support is failing and I'm waking up the hot-chick to keep me company. :)

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting write up and like MO VietVet stated very detailed. Glad you and the Dealer got it all sorted out. Mo VietVet is not a big advocate of extended warranties but I am with all the crazy expensive electronics on these newer vehicles and it sounds like it saved you a lot of money. Hopefully you can enjoy your vehicle now with no more problems. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
I tend to agree, I have never been a fan of extended warranties, always felt a bit like a money grab. Of course, having said that, I am genuinely glad I dropped the extra 1000 or 1500 when I bought it and feel like this single repair paid for itself. I have one more year, (well, until Aug or 22) on it, so we'll see. I will more than likely invest in one again if/when I buy a new truck again. I don't believe these things are built to last. I drove my previous truck 23 years (and it was still good when I sold it) but I'd be surprised if this one (or all of the electrical stuff) will last that long. The cost(s) to repair these types of problems can be monumental, making the option to buy new a little more appealing?
Anyway, thanks for reading all of it and coming along on the journey-

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't forget that the tech/mechanic followed all directions for pad replacement and "cleaned the area". That is worth .2 of the hour allowed for the repair. :chewie:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I tend to agree, I have never been a fan of extended warranties, always felt a bit like a money grab. Of course, having said that, I am genuinely glad I dropped the extra 1000 or 1500 when I bought it and feel like this single repair paid for itself. I have one more year, (well, until Aug or 22) on it, so we'll see. I will more than likely invest in one again if/when I buy a new truck again. I don't believe these things are built to last. I drove my previous truck 23 years (and it was still good when I sold it) but I'd be surprised if this one (or all of the electrical stuff) will last that long. The cost(s) to repair these types of problems can be monumental, making the option to buy new a little more appealing?
Anyway, thanks for reading all of it and coming along on the journey-
I refuse to buy them and just start a slush fund with a vehicle purchase for any money out of my pocket. If someone asks my opinion I will tell them no, not for me and do not recommend them because in the end, the odds of you getting your money back out of it is ALWAYS in the warranty companies favor, ALWAYS. That being said, if a person wants to buy one, I recommend to wait till the end of the bumper to bumper coverage to get it. Buying it immediately does not make sense to me because of the overlap.

I ran shops for 30+ years and had to call in for extended warranty coverages many many many times and hated dealing with them because their whole scenario is to keep money and not spend it and they have no sense of urgency for the vehicle owner and will let that car/truck sit and wait for the inspector to get to the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024