Hi-Lift Jack Mount Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hurlz07Tahoe

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I did it. I spent some time thinking and wandering around my local hardware store and came up with this.

I got 6 a inch long, threaded 3/8" steel rods, washers, rubber washers, nuts, rubber stoppers (which I later drilled holes through), and wing nuts.

I drilled holes in the metal roof rails, near the foot pads for increased support. I put a metal puddy knife under the rail to stop the drill bit when it finally broke through to the other side. Then slid the rod down through the hole and tightened on the lower, capped nut (had to file the rounded top of the nut down so it wouldn't rub on my roof when the rail was loaded). Then tightened down a hex nut, a metal washer, and a rubber washer on top of the rail. Next slid two rubber stoppers (couldn't find one that was big enough so I took two, one slightly larger to keep the tapper the same) on top of the rail. I notched out the bottom of the lower rubber stopper so that it would sit flush on the rail and wrap around the nut.

Then a locking nut on top of the rubber stoppers to hold it all in place. Then the hi-lift jack and two rubber washers, a metal washer, and a wing nut to hold it all together.

Next I'll drill a small hole near the top of the rod, just above the wing nuts so that I can put a small lock on it for safety.

I know it doesn't look great but it's only for when I need it and I can quickly put it on and take it off.

I didn't go across to the other rail because its a 48" jack and the roof rails are just 48" apart so it wouldn't fit. I also carry a roof box on the cross rails so it would just get in the way if I ever had both on at the same time.

Attachments

• DSC00618.jpg
    DSC00618.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00619.jpg
    DSC00619.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Hurlz07Tahoe

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another look at the hardware, off of my truck...

Attachments

• 2010-03-19 18.57.42.jpg
    2010-03-19 18.57.42.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 10

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
Eh, does it work?, yeah. Does it look good? ah not really. Nice job though. As least its mounted haha

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that I am not seriously lift, but enough that I'm bound to do something stupid and get in to trouble. Plus I often launch my boat and jet ski from a sandy beach and it would be nice to have the jack available if I get my rig and/or trailer(s) stuck in some soft sand. Plus I have the damn thing so I figured I would try to put it to use.

haha i hear ya

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all quick question. I have a 2004 Tahoe all stock. How would I even use a Hi-Lift Jack to lift my truck if I needed to say... change a tire? What are the lift points?

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wholey back from the dead thread !!

Easy, Hi-Lift jacks can't be used on these Tahoe's. You need a real bumper, and what we have front & rear isnt a bumper.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wholey back from the dead thread !!

Easy, Hi-Lift jacks can't be used on these Tahoe's. You need a real bumper, and what we have front & rear isnt a bumper.

Yeah, I call mine a facade.

One of these days I might take a sawzall to my facade and mount up a winch. I guess at that point I would call it an "objet d'art" :)

GA ZR2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've always put my Hi-Lift in a rifle case w/ a breaker bar and wheel nut socket. I keep my extra D-rings, straps, Hi-Lift winch kit, and 25' of chain in separate 24" long overland box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys