Hi from newbie in Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast Eddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Just bought a 2016 Yukon Denali AWD. This is my third Yukon. My others were stock but this one I plan to do some work on. My plan is to build a Yukon GT if GMC built one today. I’ve already installed new Magride shocks and a MaxTrac 2/3 drop (see pic). Mechanical mods in the works include a lumpy cam, long tubes and exhaust. On the outside I’m going to do a little debadging and dechroming. I also have a plan to replace the Denali grille.

I looked forever for a truck with retractable boards but I couldn’t find one in my budget. I would like to remove these Dumbo-ear fixed running boards and replace them with just side skirts but they don’t exist. So I may end up trying to convert to factory retractable boards. I work at a GM dealership so there’s a chance I can get the parts and have access to the expertise to do it. Any advice would be appreciated!

C1583468-E9B9-48D6-BE42-51CB9D4510F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice find!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Ask any questions or issues in the 2015-2020 section. Thanks!

Nice Yukon Denali!

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just bought a 2016 Yukon Denali AWD. This is my third Yukon. My others were stock but this one I plan to do some work on. My plan is to build a Yukon GT if GMC built one today. I’ve already installed new Magride shocks and a MaxTrac 2/3 drop (see pic). Mechanical mods in the works include a lumpy cam, long tubes and exhaust. On the outside I’m going to do a little debadging and dechroming. I also have a plan to replace the Denali grille.

I looked forever for a truck with retractable boards but I couldn’t find one in my budget. I would like to remove these Dumbo-ear fixed running boards and replace them with just side skirts but they don’t exist. So I may end up trying to convert to factory retractable boards. I work at a GM dealership so there’s a chance I can get the parts and have access to the expertise to do it. Any advice would be appreciated!

View attachment 362528
I have a 15 Denali and added the running boards afterwards. I found brand new slightly damaged running boards for $700 on eBay shipped. The slight damage was tiny dents in the chrome. But I can look past that. User on here @cmatt made me a Harness for plug and play application. The harness was excellent quality. Had it for a little over a year now with no issues. Also there’s a button on your dash you have to replace as well but Matt can point you in the right direction if you need assistance

OP
OP
Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the great info! I’ll move this conversation over to the appropriate section, but quick question-do you get messages on your driver information display when they are extended or retracted? Like the trucks with factory boards?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the great info! I’ll move this conversation over to the appropriate section, but quick question-do you get messages on your driver information display when they are extended or retracted? Like the trucks with factory boards?
So as far as I know the factory boards don’t come up on the dash to say they’re extended or not. But when I hold the button to turn them on or deactivate (lock them in up position). That does display on the dash. Which I was surprised…

Also before he made my harness he did ask me a few questions. Like in the engine bay there’s a box with a bunch of plugs going to it. I had to unplug one of the plugs and show him which terminals had existing wires. My truck had these wires he was asking about. I think because the Denali trim had the running board options so the wires are already there. And the BCM may already be programmed to accommodate the words on the dash.

Since you have a Denali I would assume your install may be as easy as mine was but I can’t make any promises. If you don’t have the existing wires that he asked about. I’m not sure what steps need to be added to accommodate that

OP
OP
Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So as far as I know the factory boards don’t come up on the dash to say they’re extended or not. But when I hold the button to turn them on or deactivate (lock them in up position). That does display on the dash. Which I was surprised…

Also before he made my harness he did ask me a few questions. Like in the engine bay there’s a box with a bunch of plugs going to it. I had to unplug one of the plugs and show him which terminals had existing wires. My truck had these wires he was asking about. I think because the Denali trim had the running board options so the wires are already there. And the BCM may already be programmed to accommodate the words on the dash.

Since you have a Denali I would assume your install may be as easy as mine was but I can’t make any promises. If you don’t have the existing wires that he asked about. I’m not sure what steps need to be added to accommodate that
Thanks Tony. I’ll look up CMatt and get the info. I appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos