Hesitant Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1998 5.7L Tahoe starts fine, no stalling. It revs fine in park no misfires. pulls away from a standstill just fine as normal, cannot accelerate hard even at highway speeds. If I manually shift from overdrive to 3rd, it will pick up like normal and run just fine. I have no CEL and no trouble codes. I have changed wires, distributor cap and rotor button and MAF. Idles good and steady, starts normal. Any thoughts?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so anytime your really putting a load on the engine it feels sluggish? how many miles are on your truck? could be the cats are starting to clog. mine were pretty nasty from previous owner doing god knows what. appeared to be an attempt to knock them out and failed. i noticed a definite power gain from doing a new bosal y pipe from rock auto. i didnt have any cel either but mine wasn't having any noticeable sluggishness before but that might have been because they were half reemed out or better put mangled up.

OP
OP
bass1775

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
165k on the odometer. It’s actually more than sluggish under hard aceleration. It feels like it’s a misfire and I have to feather the throttle or manually downshift. Real scary trying to merge into traffic from the on-ramp. I’m stumped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman