Help with wheels selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 Tahoe with the standard wheels and I would like to change them to another ones, like the american Racing outlaw or any similar.

The problem is that I get lost with so many parameters like offset, backspacing, etc.

I also do not have Fender flares in the Tahoe, and I would like to keep as is now, and probably many of the wheels I like would be too much wider.

Any of you know of any wheels, that I can use in my Tahoe, without modifications, in 16" ?

This is my car:

tah.png

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Eduardo. It’s difficult to find 16” wheels other than stock but they’re out there. Why not go up in wheel size and a different tire size? You can get the same overall diameter. eBay is a good place to find most any wheel size. You can use the tire size calculator to make sure you’re ok.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 Tahoe with the standard wheels and I would like to change them to another ones, like the american Racing outlaw or any similar.

The problem is that I get lost with so many parameters like offset, backspacing, etc.

I also do not have Fender flares in the Tahoe, and I would like to keep as is now, and probably many of the wheels I like would be too much wider.

Any of you know of any wheels, that I can use in my Tahoe, without modifications, in 16" ?

This is my car:

View attachment 236321

Yours can handle 17s easily, with no modifications. On the generation after yours, the wheels are 17 x 7.5 with an offset of 1.22 inches or 31 mm. Next size up is 18 x 8 with same offset. Then they go to 20s with an 8.5 inch width and offsets are 22, 27 or 31 millimeters depending on style. The 22s are 9 inches wide and similarly have 24 or 31 offsets.

Most aftermarket wheels are 9 inches wide, you have to look long and hard to find 8 or even narrower.

Pay close attention to the load capacity of the wheels. Many, though advertised for trucks, do not have the weight carrying capacity.

Others will chime in with more direct knowledge than I.

OP
OP
fury78

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Eduardo. It’s difficult to find 16” wheels other than stock but they’re out there. Why not go up in wheel size and a different tire size? You can get the same overall diameter. eBay is a good place to find most any wheel size. You can use the tire size calculator to make sure you’re ok.

Hi, thanks for your answer, the question is that the tire are new and if I buy from US the wheels (because in Spain I have not found anything) I have to pay a lot of moey for shipping and custom fees, so I prefer to minimize the money spent now, if I find something….

I have seen the "police" style wheels, and they would look ok, I think, but I prefer to search any other option.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your answer, the question is that the tire are new and if I buy from US the wheels (because in Spain I have not found anything) I have to pay a lot of moey for shipping and custom fees, so I prefer to minimize the money spent now, if I find something….

I have seen the "police" style wheels, and they would look ok, I think, but I prefer to search any other option.

Well, you may keep an eye out for any wrecked SUVs for their wheels and if the rubber is good, sell yours. In the generation older than yours, there were some good looking 16" wheels, the Ducks Unlimited used an American Racing Wheel I think.

OP
OP
fury78

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yours can handle 17s easily, with no modifications. On the generation after yours, the wheels are 17 x 7.5 with an offset of 1.22 inches or 31 mm. Next size up is 18 x 8 with same offset. Then they go to 20s with an 8.5 inch width and offsets are 22, 27 or 31 millimeters depending on style. The 22s are 9 inches wide and similarly have 24 or 31 offsets.

Most aftermarket wheels are 9 inches wide, you have to look long and hard to find 8 or even narrower.

Pay close attention to the load capacity of the wheels. Many, though advertised for trucks, do not have the weight carrying capacity.

Others will chime in with more direct knowledge than I.

Thanks for your answer. I was headed for the American Racing Outlaw, but they are 16x8 and also I do not know if they would require any flender flares or molding in the body, because here the wheels are not allow to be wider than the body.

https://www.americanracing.com/product/wheels/ar62-outlaw-ii/?attribute_pa_finish=satin-black

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire rack is a good place to do research actually. you can select the diameter you want and it will give you sizes that fit your truck. if its a particular size that would push the tire out beyond the wheel well but still fits it will be listed but will be noted as aggressive fitment or specifically state you need fender flares. discount tire is also a great place to look but doesn't have the same notations as tire rack but thier customer service is great. when i bought my 97 i had to replace the aftermarket wheels that was on it but i liked the fitment. i called them up and they were able to give me a good idea based on the measurements they probably have on the stock wheels based on the ones i had picked out.

JakeTheSnake76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A great place to look is Offset Customs, they offer payment plans along with carry pretty much any truck capable wheels out there. They also have a youtube with tips to what sizes fit and tires for them.

OP
OP
fury78

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, I will check these sites

OP
OP
fury78

fury78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have contacted with Custom Offsets, they are really kind and helpful. I will buy the Cragar 397 in 16x8 +13, anyone has these installed ?