help with LED tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CG-ITS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm Chris, a student of engineering built in 88.
I was looking for help with my LED tails and came across this forum.

So I recently purchased a set of LED tails for my 04 Tahoe to get rid of the amber section in the rear lights.
I got these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2006-CHEVY-GMC-TAHOE-YUKON-SUBURBAN-LED-TAIL-LIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2554b09b95QQitemZ160334650261QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But when I installed them everything seemed fine, turn signals, brakes, everything ok, but then cruise did no longer work.
So I took them out again and put the OEM ones back in. Now cruise works again.

It looks like you guys have come across the same problem before, I just couldn't find a solution. How did you master the problem?
Please let me know, I really like this look:
3870177541_11742ca101.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cg-its/sets/72157622060143897/

Thanks,
Chris

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to wire in LED load resistors, also called load equalizers.

Search those 2 terms, either here or google, and you will find all the info you want.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums first of all. Secondly the first thing I would try is flip flopping the turn signals with the brake since they are both red LED's and see if everything is operational. It sounds silly but since the inputs are the same I could see that being the issue. If the tail lights don't have built in resistors then the only thing you will be able to do is buy them as OmarR said and putting them in.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I had those led tail lights and three of the led bulbs in the second column were facing in a different direction from the others on the pass. side. You may want to check yours. It was a manufacture defect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CG-ITS

CG-ITS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since they were supposed to be plug and play I didn't think I had to wire in load equalizers (is there anything else to them or are they just resistors with heatsinks?). I believe there must be 'load equalizers' inside the light, at least for the turn signals, because they do not flash any faster then they would with the original bulbs.

Switching the connectors won't do me any good I believe because all the LEDs come on for both brake and turn signal.
The connectors are as follows:
One with 3 wires (grnd, tail, brake) and one with two wires (grnd, turn).
Same on the car's wire harness:
3874743391_1ac7a5a850.jpg

3875532324_bd5cf46f81.jpg

Could it be that I need to wire in resistors for the brake lights?

I also checked the LEDs, if they'd be facing the wrong direction they wouldn't light up, right?
All LEDs light up, a bit for tail lights and brighter for turn/stop.

Since in the OEM lights tail/stop and turn are seperate bulbs, I'm thinking that may be where the problem is?

@denalianyone:
What did you have to do to get them to work? I believe you returned them and got a set of new ones, did you just plug them in and they worked or did you do something else to them too?

oO...
Chris

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I returned them and bought an entire new model. I purchased mines from that same seller and the LEDs lit up but when u look at them from a few feet back it looks like three of the bulbs are out. In all actuality they are facing in a different direction from the others.

OP
OP
CG-ITS

CG-ITS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
CG-ITS, you look like my buddy named Chad. haha

Danimalmax looks to have your set of light, he wired in some extra light to solve his problem.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178

Haha, tell Chad his forum look-alike said Hi.. ;)

Yeah I just came across the same thread and sent him a PM about the aditional lights, asking whether he tried a resistor too, because I'd probably shot the lights out pretty quick here with all the dirt roads I drive....

I have a Fluke 1587 Insulation Multimeter here with me, that can probably do much more than I know about so far, but from what I've heard I believe the Tahoe monitors resistance on the tail/brake lights?

:grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat