Help With Fuel Pressure Leak Down Test Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulutions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2000 Tahoe 5.7. Z71
In a fuel pressure leak down test, what is an acceptable rate of pressure drop for the 5.7?. Mine is up at 60psi when I turn the crank and it drops 1psi per minute with the key off. The article I am going off for the procedure says: "The fuel pressure gauge's needle will drop 5 PSI only and remain steady for at least one full minute. Or the fuel pressure gauge's needle will immediately drop to 0 PSI."
My gauge does neither of these. Just drops a steady 1psi per minute. What say you?
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/.../testing-the-spider....

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 Tahoe 5.7. Z71
In a fuel pressure leak down test, what is an acceptable rate of pressure drop for the 5.7?. Mine is up at 60psi when I turn the crank and it drops 1psi per minute with the key off. The article I am going off for the procedure says: "The fuel pressure gauge's needle will drop 5 PSI only and remain steady for at least one full minute. Or the fuel pressure gauge's needle will immediately drop to 0 PSI."
My gauge does neither of these. Just drops a steady 1psi per minute. What say you?
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/.../testing-the-spider....
Sounds like you have good pressure and leak down sounds ok too. If you had the stereotypical failures for the 5.7L which are (1) cracked spider (2) leaking fuel injector your pressure would fall like a rock.

OP
OP
P

paulutions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you have good pressure and leak down sounds ok too. If you had the stereotypical failures for the 5.7L which are (1) cracked spider (2) leaking fuel injector your pressure would fall like a rock.
That's what I thought. But, I replaced the spider injector with the upgrade and the problem went away. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier