Help with bad reviews on 2015+ Tahoe's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nedac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Suburban LTZ... bought new, 38K miles, no issues aside from the radio being junk, but its been like that since it was new.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently did a transmission flush at dealer and everything checked out fine. Good luck!

Fun fact: The 2016 8 speeds come with a FREE transmission flush.*

*due to the tsb to help address the clunk and lurching issues of the 8 speed

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently looking into buying a 2015 - 2018 Tahoe. Been reading reviews and they are not positive. Between a/c, brakes, engine mounts, gps shutting off. Just wanted some real world info, if y'all don't mind. I've been a chevy guy for years but running a tacoma for the last three years. It's time to get into something bigger again and first thoughts were Tahoe or Suburban. Just reviews are scaring me since i'll have to get something with higher miles due to cost.

Thanks for any input y'all can provide.

I have owned nothing but GM my entire life, but the last two were the last. I have a 2017 Yukon and cuss it every time I get in. In my case it runs fine. It is the electronics that annoy me. I am a computer electronics engineer and love new technology, but every time I get in, I MUST acknowledge several warnings on the console before it will show me the digital speedometer. I know I am "Driver 1" and I don't need it to force me to acknowledge there might be ice on the roads when it is 10 below zero outside. At 31 degrees maybe??? at 10 below I would just as soon it would keep it's comments to itself. The wifi and bluetooth do not comply with standards and violate FCC regulations by causing RF interference with my business phone system. I had to disable on-star completely just to be able to talk with my paying customers inside the office without static interference and my calls being dropped. This has broken the GPS, compass and other systems. The sad thing is I really don't miss the $1,500.00 navigation system, because it never worked worth a crap in the first place, and it would not let me enter an address while the engine was in drive. It comes with wireless charging except it is not compatible with most phones. If you want the wireless charging to work you must replace it with a GEN2 refit kit at your expense. I have left my office several times to find my Yukon had rolled out into the middle of the parking lot on its own. I think I was talking on the phone when I pulled in and shut the engine off, and after I talked on the phone for a while got out of the vehicle without realizing I did not place the vehicle in park. It should have beeped an alert, but it did not protest me leaving. I have had several other problems with the keyless system. I have the stick your foot under the bumper to raise the back-lift, but the thing rarely works. I now just use the remote instead of looking like an idiot waving my foot underneath the bumper for several minutes until it finally opens. The emergency stop alert is constantly malfunctioning. I will be driving down the road without a single car near by, and will all of sudden get the red flashing light in the window indicating I am about to crash into to something. Of course these things only happen at random a few times a year and when you take it in, it is working and they can't find any error logs in the system. As a systems engineer it is very embarrassing when customers ride with me and the console is full of error messages.

Even though most vehicles will have problems come up, GM support is horrible. I am still trying to resolve issues that have existed from day 1. After months they finally acknowledge there is an issue, but they still have not got to the bottom of it a year and a half later. I have been very tempted to trade it in, but not sure I can stomach the depreciation loss.

If it was not for the electronics and GMs customer service I would love it.

Karmadawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently looking into buying a 2015 - 2018 Tahoe. Been reading reviews and they are not positive. Between a/c, brakes, engine mounts, gps shutting off. Just wanted some real world info, if y'all don't mind. I've been a chevy guy for years but running a tacoma for the last three years. It's time to get into something bigger again and first thoughts were Tahoe or Suburban. Just reviews are scaring me since i'll have to get something with higher miles due to cost.

Thanks for any input y'all can provide.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m turning in a very low mileage 15 Tahoe ltx to a dlr in nyc tomorrow. That doesn’t help you.
Sorry

I have been making a lot of trips lately to Bay Ridge Brooklyn...Via N.J. Turnpike,278 to Verrazano Bridge. I feel like I am off roading every time I go there. I would not buy a vehicle that has been driven in NYC on a daily basis. North Jersey roads [near the Lincoln Tunnel] are not much better.

You would think with those ridiculous high tolls [especially the Verrazano] the roads would be as smooth as silk.

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 15 tahoe has Been fine for the most part. I have had the ac issues though. Other than that, nothing major and im at 103k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karmadawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd be really thorough on your search. I can only comment on & about my personal experience, I LOVED all 3 model tahoes I've owned (94' 99' 05') in past ,, & NOT TRYING TO SHIT ON TAHOE AT ALL , BUT IN Sept 2015 bought a "certified Pre-owned " crystal red tintcoat Tahoe LT with 20,000miles with all factory and service warranties in play, Didn't even realize it had Luxury package and lots of options not normally equipped for LT, WELLL, IT WAS ALLL A SCAM, sure I should have did a lil research, which I Didn't, I TRUSTED THE DEALERS REPUTATION & NAME I've know for yrs,, Do NOT DO THAT!! I WASSS DUMBBBB !! I Later found out after many issues & problems trips to dealership due to TOTAL LOSS OF POWER & SHUT DOWN while driving, YES TOTALLY SHUTS OFF ! Dealers cant figure it out, 2nd time they had it,, changed every single electrical component/chassis control modules, 38 days they had it. Expected ME to pay the labor & parts , $9,780.00 lol. So I spoke with owner & I told him they are crazy to think I was responsible for costs cause I had stated and had service manager mark on work order the day I dropped it off , "DO NOT CHANGE BATTERY/ ONLY CHANGE/FIX TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL MODULE AS PER OWNERS REQUEST " I absolutely am not paying that bill, I drive it 2 miles to the house, parked it thinkin, NICE it wont leave me stranded or shut down anymore,, hahahahah. 6 hrs later I go out to leave for work, STONE DEAD, & this keeps happening,, My particular 2015. Tahoe experience suxxxxx to date!! ,, but its not every Tahoe & CANT SAY NOT TO GET 1,,( other than it randomly being dead or shutting down which no vehicle should do while driving)) JUST STAY AWAY FROM 2015'S , MANY ISSUES FROM WHAT I KNOW & HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING/SEEING ON GM COMPLAINT & LAWSUITS AGAINST THEM BY INSURERS,,,, THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING DAILY EXPERIENCING TOTAL LOSS OF POWER & CONTROL AND THEY ACT LIKE ITS OK ANNNDDD DOOO NOTHING ,,, I WILL NOT SELL IT OR TRADE IT IN TO LET SOMEONE ELSE DEAL WITH,, I DONT EVEN DRIVE IT , IT SITS IN DRIVEWAY AND I MAKE PAYMENTS ON IT. REDICULOUS!!! DO YOU'RE OWN RESEARCH ON THE HISTORY & ALSO BRING ANY USED PREOWNED VEHICLES OF ANY MAKE MODEL YOU THINK OF BUYING TO A TRUSTED MECHANIC AT A TRUSTED SHOP TO LOOK OVER BEFORE PURCHASING!! DEALER SHOULDN'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOU DOING SO,, IF THEY DO!! HIDDING SOMETHING,,

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine. Super comfortable for the whole (big) family, awesome road trip cruiser, can fit everything from luggage to sports equipment, very safe vehicle, and super capable in all seasons on various terrain. Just get the newest one possible and CPO as others have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2015 Tahoe LS was a great vehicle

Bought new May 2014 with 53 miles
Traded in May 2018 at 41k miles

Chevy did oil changes for 2yrs. I did the remaining 2yrs worth. The butterfly exhaust flapper valve squeaked, so I pinned it open. The drivers seat clicked, so I fixed with rubber and a hose clamp. Really about it for real "issues".

It did suffer from over 10 recalls. 1st year model usually has a few lol. My #1 complaint is/was the AC condenser leak. That's why I traded it in. I let Chevy fix all the recalls under warranty.

such a great rig, that I bought a 2017 Suburban. We needed more legroom for the twins in the 3rd row. I had a 2001 Suburban with 283,000 miles. I'm expecting quite a long life span for my 2017 as well.

all that said, I'd buy another 2015 without a worry. Just ensure the AC Condenser leak has been addressed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout