Help!! Transmission issues not sure if electrical or mechanical#im no mechanic!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bret A Blodgett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So yesterday we were on our way home and had drove to our destination fine with now issues then on our way back as we pulled out of the gas station, started to accelerate my 03 Tahoe it got out of 1st and 2nd gear but after the rpms kept climbing the more I pushed the pedal so when I realized I let off and let the truck coast until I could pull over, I did manage to get it home by pulling over letting the Tahoe rest for a min and coasting it would always accelerate after pulling over and one time it even shifted into 3rd and felt like if was gonna drive and shift again, but a min later I had to let it coast cuz rpms started to rise when pushing gas, did have it tell me the transmission was hot one time so pulled over in hopes to have not caused any further or more extensive damage. Like I said in the title of post I'm no mechanic and getting it home was only choice calling a tow truck or any other option was out of the questions because finances, and had 6 passengers. A couple of other notes not sure if they will help in figuring out what it may be and if I can fix or if a mechanic is needed. It's has always had a bit of trouble shifting out( not all the time but just random times) especially if just jumping in and going or like real fast accelerating like from 0 to 45 or faster again not all the time, I have always tried to give it plenty of time to warm up I've had it 7 years changed fluids and kept up everything up on it, it has been a daily driver every since we got it and had been the most reliable vehicle I've owed wouldn't trade it for anything. I have been told that a delay if shifting was something that was common in the Tahoe and Denali, but idk if it's true or not. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Midgar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like typical 4l60/4l80 issues put on the code reader if it says transmission component slippage be ready to swap trans.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are lucky it will just be the actuators, it's 50/50 if you haven't beat on it in the past. if you hear grinding noises then probably not an actuator
replacing the actuators can be done with a transmission service plus the cost of the actuators so probably around $250 or so, again if you are lucky.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are lucky it will just be the actuators, it's 50/50 if you haven't beat on it in the past. if you hear grinding noises then probably not an actuator
replacing the actuators can be done with a transmission service plus the cost of the actuators so probably around $250 or so, again if you are lucky.
You mean shift solenoids?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 likely a 2-4 band slipping. If the band is worn then the tranny is done. Rebuild. Check the 2-4 servo to see if it is stuck. (passenger side of tranny--Big circle)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew