HELP! Transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
Hey there,

Looking to have my transmission serviced on my 16 Yukon XL Denali (8speed).

Bergstrom in Oshkosh WI is the dealer I have an appointment with tomorrow.

They're stating the service procedure is to flush the system not simply drop pan, replace filter and re-fill?

Truck has about 144,000 on it and I've only owned the last 19,000 miles. Yo my knowledge it's never been swapped.

I'm getting that low acceleration surging where it feels like the whole truck is vibrating... Supposedly a transmission fluid swap is the answer.

Should I push for a drop and fill over a flush?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll drop the pan for added expense. I asked my local dealer prior to dropping the pan myself.

OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
They're stating they flush and replace (12 quarts), but don't drop the pan or replace the filter.

I'm asking for a price to drop the pan & replace the filter.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and which way they went on these early model 8 speeds. The LAST thing I want is to have to replace the transmission!

OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
Got the Quote for flushing vs. Dropping pan and replacing filter.

$270 to flush vs. $510 to drop pan and replace filter/gasket/fluid.

I'm not sure which direction I should pursue?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's more than I expected. I know prices have risen but when I inquired back in March 2021 I believe it was maybe $140 for a fluid exchange (guessing) and possibly double that for a pan drop with filter replacement.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're stating they flush and replace (12 quarts), but don't drop the pan or replace the filter.

I'm asking for a price to drop the pan & replace the filter.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and which way they went on these early model 8 speeds. The LAST thing I want is to have to replace the transmission!
news flash, the 8speed is problematic if you are having issue's better start a savings account, especially at 114k
chances of just flushing it no matter how it is done and fixing the problem are slim.
but if you are going to give it a shot anyway I would have it done correctly, drop pan and filter change and pray to whatever higher power of your choosing.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd shop around and find a good transmission shop to call and find out what they charge. Or even a good independent mechanic. Also do a search on TSBs regarding what you are experiencing.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is TSB that dealer is talking about in link. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163890-9999.pdf They do it that way to flush complete system. You could have them drop pan after and change filter. You could try to find independent that would do same process but make sure the use what is called Molile1 Blue Label trans fluid.
While you're at it there is TSB on changing temperature block on transmission while they are at it, or you could change later yourself. https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/21-NA-199

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
The dealer told me the new fluid is a DEX something, I failed to get the exact name, but the mechanic advised this was the newest recommended fluid by GM. He said this was the third fluid that's been updated...

I'm going to try the flush tomorrow and see how it goes....

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read TSB again I linked Dextron is wrong fluid Mobile1 blue label is correct, Dextron holds moisture which is problem I would try another dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442