HELP steering rack bushing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because an alignment is needed any time steering and suspension parts (minus sway bars) are removed.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Because an alignment is needed any time steering and suspension parts (minus sway bars) are removed.
I understand but if you don’t change any adjustments and just drop the rack down and then put it back up all the adjustments should
still be ok. I have removed and installed many parts without the alignment being whack after.

But, it is always good to check when in doubt.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand but if you don’t change any adjustments and just drop the rack down and then put it back up all the adjustments should
still be ok. I have removed and installed many parts without the alignment being whack after.

I’m know where you are coming from. I’ve replaced front struts, lowered and reattached the steering rack and have taken my vehicle in to check the alignment afterwards and nothing was out. I just look at it as a little bit of insurance to make sure things are copacetic.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It may not change much from only dropping the gear but it can change. Loosen all four bolts on the gear and see how much it can move around.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t have the drop the gear to replace the front differential but that would make getting the bushing bracket in the gear possible without dropping it.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You don’t have the drop the gear to replace the front differential but that would make getting the bushing bracket in the gear possible without dropping it.
I was hoping to not need to drop the steering rack to drop the diff. Do you need to take the cross member out from under the engine of can you slip the diff put of there? When the diff is out I will install that support bracket insert.

Regarding the bushing and bracket that started this thread. I am planning to explore making a solid one that clamps on but I am only thinking on it now. Next time I am under the truck I will measure it up.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to not need to drop the steering rack to drop the diff. Do you need to take the cross member out from under the engine of can you slip the diff put of there? When the diff is out I will install that support bracket insert.

Regarding the bushing and bracket that started this thread. I am planning to explore making a solid one that clamps on but I am only thinking on it now. Next time I am under the truck I will measure it up.
You should not need to remove the cross member to drop the front differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT