Help! Oil leaking from an exposed wheel aft of engine!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikechamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, first post. I have a large leak. Approximately one half quart per hour. Always had a leak but this one has progressively gotten worse to the point I'm reaching out for help. I've never asked for help on an online forum so here I go.

Upon inspection crawling under the vehicle There is an exposed wheel (Fly wheel?) just aft of the engine block that can be seen spinning. In the same location, just below the cut out where the wheel can be seen spinning, there is a bolt on either side with the head facing down where oil is dripping off the head of the bolt.

This wheel is visible from both sides of the case there are two cut outs. I checked the bolts and they are both snug. I guess my concern is should this wheel be visible like this? I feel like this must be where the oil is coming from.

Is it possible an incompatible part was installed onto my Tahoe causing this gap on either side? I could stick my hand in there and touch the wheel.

Please help!

I also have videos I haven't figured out how to attach yet.

Thanks so much in advance!!

View media item 27905View media item 27906View media item 27907View media item 27908View media item 27909View media item 27910View media item 27911View media item 27912View media item 27913

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Videos are hard, maybe try a few pics. There’s a tab next to “post reply” to upload a file that’s used for pics. Sounds like you’re looking at the flexplate aka flywheel. There’s usually plastic covers in those 2 places but it’s possible the trans was replaced and they left them off. No biggie there but the oil leak obviously is. I’m thinking you might have a rear main seal that’s leaking but it’s hard to tell even if we get pics. First you need to eliminate the easier places to check, as in the valve cover gaskets, oil pan, etc. It’s coming from up above somewhere. With that amount it should be fairly easy to find the source. If it’s the rear main, the parts are cheap but the trans has to be removed to replace it. Lots of labor for that one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Mike, permissions not granted to view what was posted. Start at the top of the back of the motor and work your way down chasing that leak. Rocket Man is right on.

OP
OP
Mikechamp

Mikechamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the response swat diver and rocket man. I updated the permissions you should be able tip view now!!

OP
OP
Mikechamp

Mikechamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me know what you think of the photos hopefully you can view them I really appreciate the help let me know if there's anything I can do to help y'all back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid