Help!! Newbie just hit brick wall trying to change hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Why not just remove the sensor and inspect it? Perhaps debris got in there.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

It could be any one of the things listed below but these codes are hard to get without a really expensive scanner.

DTC 21 Right Front Speed Sensor or Circuit Open
DTC 22 Missing Right Front Speed Signal
DTC 23 Erratic Right Front Speed Sensor
DTC 25 Left Front Speed Sensor or Circuit Open
DTC 26 Missing Left Front Speed Signal
DTC 27 Erratic Left Front Speed Sensor
DTC 29 Simultaneous Dropout of Front Wheel Speed Sensors
DTC 35 Open or Grounded Rear Speed Signal Circuit
DTC 36 Missing Rear Speed Sensor Signal
DTC 37 Erratic Rear Speed Signal
DTC 38 Wheel Speed Error
DTC 41-54 Brake Pulse Modulator Valve (BPMV) Control Valves
DTC 65 Open or Shorted Pump Motor Relay
DTC 66 Open or Shorted Pump Motor Relay
DTC 67 Open Motor Circuit or Shorted Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Output
DTC 68 Locked Motor or Shorted Motor Circuit
DTC 71-74 EBCM Memory Errors
DTC 81 Brake Switch Circuit Shorted or Open
DTC 86 Shorted Anti-Lock Warning Lamp
DTC 88 Shorted Brake Warning Lamp

Last edited:
OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok I just finished taking off the brakes and loosened the axle nut... Had my son start the engine to monitor the abs light while I assembled everything back on and tighten the axle nut... The light was off during this period and once all was done the light was still off... Then I put the wheel back on tightened lug nuts, and started the engine again... Light was back on...
Decided to go for a spin to O'reilly's to use the scanner... Brakes still feel fine just have the abs light on... When I scanned I got a abs code of co 227...

Sunlitcomet after reading the codes you just posted I'm assuming this might be dtc27 ?? So If thats correct and that code says left front sensor does that mean Driver or Passenger side???? BTW thanks for your help and for the code post....

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That means the driver's side. Try sanding on the top of the hub bearing after removing the sensor from the hub. Those aftermarket hub bearings are notorious for being just enough out of tolerance that they cause the ABS Sensor to lose signal with the speed sensor gear inside the hub.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may just have a defect hub, if it comes on again with the driver side code then get a new one and just replace it. Just make sure the wire is routed correctly though its holders.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The sensor or wire is damaged on the left front hub and is not 100% functional all the time like something is getting shifted. On a side not what was the model of scanner that the part store had that was able to pull abs codes. I still don't see how an axle nut rubs a wire. Am I missing something or is the nut you are talking about on the outside of the knuckle that when a wheel is on that can be no wires near it?

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sunlitcomet, i'm not sure what brand the scanner was... I think that mechanic I talked to was thinking of another type of hub assembly not one for a chevy tahoe... I never saw a wire where he said there was by the axle nut....

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I have came to a conclusion to my abs problem that I was having...
I have read here and elsewhere that chevy's abs systems are very problematic and I decided to pull the abs fuse to give it a try... Well I have to say that my Tahoe now brakes much better and feels more like a truck...
I'm going to do this for a while and see what happens... If I like this I may just remove the cluster and remove the abs light.... I'm sure I will have those who will disagree with this and then have others who will agree....

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this procedure on my '92 K1500 Sierra, so here's some useful knowledge:

If the bolts start to round off, beat a 9/16" socket on to them, ALL THE WAY. They will come off just fine with a pull bar and some sweat then. The replacement bolts are M14x2.00-50mm, I got 12.9 socket bolts from Fastenal, a bag of 5 was about $3. However they may have to order them. A 12.9 metric bolt is harder than a grade-8 SAE bolt.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=39688&ucst=t

0154437_hr4c.jpg

Just wanted to put this knowledge here for anyone who will need it in the future!

babyarm85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
had the same problem. turns out i severed the wheel speed sensor wire when i dropped my truck. simple fix though. took about ten minutes to re-connect the wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96