Help!! Newbie just hit brick wall trying to change hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Read the article on how to do this but this is what happened... When I got my 15mm socket and ratchet to try and loosen the bolts I couldn't get them to budge... So I got the impact wrench... Well bolt number one came out however the bolt was rounded a little bit... When I attempted the second and third bolts I ended up rounding both ot them... I went and got some bolt out sockets from sears however the base of the socket will not go through the bolt access holes on the front of the hub so in other words they wont reach the bolts.... Has anyone had this happen to them before when the changed their hub assembly?? Any suggestions what I could do ??? Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

One more question... When I do get the hub bolts out and put the new hub on, will I be able to go and get these 15mm bolts at autozone or other simular parts store the heads of the bolts are going to be trashed and I'm concerned about the bolt quality of the new bolts, I don't want a wheel to fall off on me.....

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Sunlitcomit... I guess I'm going to get the grinder and start cutting and grinding until I can access those bolts with the bolt outs..
will be back to update what happens....

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After cutting and grinding I was able to get the bolts out finally.... Does anyone know what the torq specs are for the axle nut and the three bolts???

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
A whopping 165 foot pounds for the axle nut and 133 for the hub to knuckle mating. As mentioned before don't use just any bolt on the hub to knuckle joint.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear bud, I went through the same thing, but before I started I had gotten 8 hub bolts from my local GM dealer. Figured if they broke I had them, if not then I would use the new ones anyways. Total for bolts was ~ $30.00

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the hub bolts ordered and should be in tomorrow at the local chevy dealer... the old bolts had rust in the threads, if I didn't light that candle I would still be messing around trying to remove them....

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got the hub assembly back on, went to take the Tahoe for a spin around the block... Noticed the abs light was on??? Talked to two diiferent mechanics today, they both told me the speed sensor has a exposed wire inside the hub close to where the axle nut is?? (I guess I missed that one) Anyway they said if not careful you can break the wire when refastening the axle nut .. or possibly rub the nut enough when it grounds the sensor wire.... Has anyone here experienced this before??? Anyway I going out to remove the axle nut to see what is what I hope I didn't break anything.. Hope the nut it just rubbing the wire....

OP
OP
generalpuller

generalpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was thinking and when they told me there was a small exposed wire inside next where the axle nut goes I thought to myself "what wire??" If there was an exposed wire in that location I sure don't remember seeing one... Sunlitcomet what do you think??? I am puzzled why the abs light now comes on.... When I drove it around it is braking like it's suppose to....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts