Help! I need somebody! Lol. Whining noise in video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check trans case fluid? Front diff fluid? Trans case output shaft seal leaking?

Try to isolate noise front rear or middle...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That sounds like rear diff gear or bearing noise. You said the gears looked good and small amount of shavings/gunk on magnet. Did you look at the end play and up/down/side to side play at the diff gears and the axle bearings? If you need gears make sure to let a pro do the setup. Setting gears up is an art and can be costly if you attempt and mess it up. The jack stand diagnosis is also a great way to pinpoint the source.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinion bearing shot. Had play. Gears had some damage so getting the rear pinion bearing swapped and gears. Also, getting a few other things done to hopefully keep her running for years. The oil level running low looks to have cause the damage.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully you made sure to mark and know which shims were where and go back in the same place when reinstall. Make absolutely sure that the bearings are pressed all the way on as if they don't do that it will effect the shim count when reassembly. That is why I suggested that you let a pro do the tear down and reassembly. You need to make sure you err to the side of caution.

OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to a pro after all of my troubleshooting pointed to the rear end. I’m a shade tree at best so I wasn’t going to tear into the rear.

OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked it up today. Noise gone. Ended up needing pinion bearing and gears. Main chunk fine. Went ahead and did new calipers and rotors and pads on rear. Also passenger bearing was bad but wasn’t the whole problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great. I hate noises like that. Gives me the "stuck in the middle of nowhere" feeling.

OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever see a small drop under any spot don’t drive it till you fully investigate. Mine had a small spot so I said I’ll check it and drove it and ended up running it low. Cost me all this trouble and money. Lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Fortunately my 2002 has nothing but dry under it and leaks nothing from front to back and I am religious about checking fluid levels. Even then you can have parts go bad with age. About 2 years ago I saw coolant coming out of weep hole at the water pump. I did an AC Delco pump, Delco thermostat, Delco belt tensioners and Delco idlers and new Delco belts. Been 100% since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts