Help! I need somebody! Lol. Whining noise in video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be rear end? Could it be tensioner pulley? Sound changes with acceleration as you can hear in the video. When I’m off work I will dive into it a little more.

EDIT: it won’t let me upload the video with sound but the sound is a humming noise and when you give it gas the noise gets louder with acceleration.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Determining the origin of the noise would be my first priority, if it is indeed the rear it could be as simple as a loose pinion nut to bad bearings, worn gear set,bad axle shaft/bearing, backlash out of spec due to wear or all of the above.

OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems as though it isn’t the rear end due to no clunking or any rough driving. It sounds like a rubbing. The link to the video of the sound might help. I checked front wheels and it didn’t seem that the bearings are bad. Just by rocking them and spinning them. That might not be a foolproof test.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really sounds like the gears in the rear end whining when loaded. Ever changed the rear diff fluid? Is it filled to the proper level?

I'm not saying it that is the only possibility, it just sounds like it. If it makes the sound when revving while parked, then that would rule out the rear end and point to something on the engine accessory drive (such as the tensioner pulley) or transmission.

If it only does it when driving and you can't isolate it to the rear end or trans, you can set the rear on sturdy jack stands and have a helper run it in gear, periodically giving it throttle to load the rear end. Slightly applying the brake while giving it throttle would induce load as well. With how loud it is, you should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I would say that does indeed sounds like gears. I would first remove the drive shaft, and check for play up and down, in and out, there shouldn't be any. If the pinion play checks out I would then suspect pinion preload.You could also remove the cover and check what the oil and gears look like, if they dont look overloaded/worn, I would then check backlash. If nothing seems wrong at that stage I would pull the axles and confirm pinion preload. There shouls be 6\8 inch lbs of rotational resistance. I would say either the pinion preload is out of spec and is causing the ring gear and pinion mesh to shift and whine as a result, althoulgh it seems to be whining mostly on accel so it could be just a bad ring ang pinion set. Either way if you confirm its coming from the rear the cover has to come off to verify. Sometimes oil changes on the diff are neglected or the pinion nut tends to come loose, if never corrected in time it can lead to a bad ring and pinion, which likely the case at this stage judging by the noise under load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking front wheel bearings, I found the passenger appears to be bad. And also it looks as though the tie rod on that side is also bad. Ordered parts and plan on tearing into it Monday. Also ordered fluid to change rear diff and check fluid and any signs of wear. Vehicle will be setting until this is finished.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guesses, rear pinion, rear diff (or both) while you are checking that also take a look at your u-joints, when things get to the point of making a noise like that it's probably worn out more than 1 part. (been there, done that) what kind of mileage is on the truck? what if any previous service was done to the rear end?

OP
OP
blatta1999

blatta1999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
150 thousand and not sure about rear end work. Have had the vehicle a few years. Pulled pan and gears in rear end look good. Very minimal metal shavings. Level was a little low. It appears the front passenger tie rod is about shot or fully shot. I bought new for both sides will swap them.

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue right now with the front end of my truck I replace the tie rod ends and the ball joints but the noise is still there I have no clue what it is my next guest is going to be the bearings and hub assembly, if you find out what it is . please let me know because I'm having the same issue and it's lame.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that noise is in the drivetrain, not related to the steering or suspension at all. you could change every bit of suspension and the noise will still be there.
you could try putting it up on 4 jack stands and put it in gear and try finding it that way, you can pick up some little stethoscope ears at the autoparts store for like $10
my money is on the pinion gear, rear axle bearings, u-joints, rear diff. or any combination of them. I have had very similar noise before from the pinion, in my case I believe the u-joints wore out and caused the pinion to go, then around the same time the rear axle bearings started howling also, but I was pretty ******* that vehicle I drove it like stole it all the time.

you could use the jack stand method to eliminate that front wheel bearing noise, I have had wheel bearings go bad but that noise really sounds more like the pinion to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent