HELP!2000 gmc yukon NO start NO crank . touched body frame to postive terminal (short circuit??)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

htoriz12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi there this is my first post i am new to this forum. the car is 2000 gmc yukon slt please i need help. i replaced both alternator nd battery . first it was the battery . car turned on after i replaced battery but (when i went to tighten bolts) i accidentally tocuhed positive terminal with it connected to battery with a wrench to the body frame. After that , the car seems to have an electrical issue. i have checked all fuses (in side engine compartment and driver under dash) all fuses are ok . Relays seem ok.. I checked VOltage at the cig lighter (4.5 volts) I dont know what went wrong i need help

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi there this is my first post i am new to this forum. the car is 2000 gmc yukon slt please i need help. i replaced both alternator nd battery . first it was the battery . car turned on after i replaced battery but (when i went to tighten bolts) i accidentally tocuhed positive terminal with it connected to battery with a wrench to the body frame. After that , the car seems to have an electrical issue. i have checked all fuses (in side engine compartment and driver under dash) all fuses are ok . Relays seem ok.. I checked VOltage at the cig lighter (4.5 volts) I dont know what went wrong i need help
go back and re-check your work, 4.5v is probably battery cable related, most likely bad ground, check continuity of the battery ground, should read 0-1 from battery ground to pretty much anywhere else, if you get much more than that then bad ground.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Does the truck run now? If yes, what is the system voltage while running?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Doubeleive on grounding possibility.
My gut tells me you didn't actually damage anything.

All power goes + to ground.
You just happened to put full current from the source to the ground in a more direct manner...

I imagine sparks flew and may have startled you, but probably no damage.

I've done that myself on other vehicles. On my Jeep, it was an odd reach over the battery to get the oil filter from the top. My arm would get between the metal wrench and the + terminal on the battery. WOW!!! Not fun getting zapped!
Once or twice, I made contact with metal near the battery. Sparks like an arc welder!!! Aside from scaring me, nothing bad happened.

Check ground connections. Nothing left loose, disconnected? Are ground contact points clean?
Start there... Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
H

htoriz12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys so it's been. A few weeks I was busy with birthdays .so I did not have time to check out the truck . But one of my buddies connected his obd reader and the truck turns on that way BUT!!! only if the key is turned with out sitting on the front driver seat. If he sits on the seat the truck won't start. How weird?? Does the seat have anything to do with this issue?? If so what can I do to fix this?? I'll post photos soon. Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and replies with help.

OP
OP
H

htoriz12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Does the truck run now? If yes, what is the system voltage while running?
Hi thanks you.. read my new post I have updates ..

OP
OP
H

htoriz12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys so it's been. A few weeks I was busy with birthdays .so I did not have time to check out the truck . But one of my buddies connected his obd reader and the truck turns on that way BUT!!! only if the key is turned with out sitting on the front driver seat. If he sits on the seat the truck won't start. How weird?? Does the seat have anything to do with this issue?? If so what can I do to fix this?? I'll post photos soon. Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and replies with help.
I do remember that the seat back Cushion that inflates broke the night before changing the battery... It sounded like the bag popped when I tried to inflate the cushion on the automatic seat

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any sensor in the driver's seat, that would prevent starting.

Fasten seatbelt chimes and message pops up, if started while sitting in the driver's seat. But that does not prevent starting. It's just a suggestion annoying you until you comply...

1) Is there any indication that the security system is activated (padlock icon lit up on the cluster)
2) Maybe your passcode sensor on the ignition is flaky and working randomly when it feels like it.

Just thinking some things out loud to see if we can help you poinpoint the issue.