Hello from Texas! - Updated - Week Two Ownership!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dreagan

dreagan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum felow Texan, plenty of info in this forum, there is diy on adding an aux somewhere on this forum.

Awesome, I assume there are several enterprising and interesting ways to line in to the stock radio. For now, I have a FM/bluetooth adapter which works okay, but having a more stable input for my spotify-based tunes would be ideal.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I assume there are several enterprising and interesting ways to line in to the stock radio. For now, I have a FM/bluetooth adapter which works okay, but having a more stable input for my spotify-based tunes would be ideal.

Are you against swapping in an aftermarket head unit?

OP
OP
dreagan

dreagan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you against swapping in an aftermarket head unit?

Not really, but with two days into ownership, I'm just trying to figure out the basics...where gas goes, how to to turn on the AC, etc. :) Seriously, the thing is so clean on the inside, it seems kind of cool to leave it stock for a little bit and just enjoy the world as it was in '03...Hence, an out of sight AUX port would be neat if the install is easy enough. If it is something that is a huge pain to do, then forget it, and I'll just run the bluetooth adapter until I decide to make an aftermarket change...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really, but with two days into ownership, I'm just trying to figure out the basics...where gas goes, how to to turn on the AC, etc. :) Seriously, the thing is so clean on the inside, it seems kind of cool to leave it stock for a little bit and just enjoy the world as it was in '03...Hence, an out of sight AUX port would be neat if the install is easy enough. If it is something that is a huge pain to do, then forget it, and I'll just run the bluetooth adapter until I decide to make an aftermarket change...

I can dig it. If you can solder and can take the factory HU apart, then it might be right up your alley.

In case you haven't found that AUX port How-To yet, what you're doing is tapping into the signal from the CD player to the HU's amp circuit. Pretty simple concept and relatively basic operation.

OP
OP
dreagan

dreagan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Reagan! Nice truck! Any other plans for it?

Most likely a wheel and tire upgrade in the future. The prior owner bought brand new tires, so I'll run on these for a little bit before I make any changes.

Otherwise, I'm reading through the various build threads and mods list to see what is popular.

In the meantime, I keep playing with the options it does have...sorting out the Driver 1 / Driver 2 and associated settings in the automatic climate control and radio has been fun. :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Does it have XM? You can tap into that really easily.

OP
OP
dreagan

dreagan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it have XM? You can tap into that really easily.

It does, and I found some kits that appear to do just that.

Funny thing and somewhat related, I pushed the onstar button for grins on the mirror and of course it plays a recorded msg about how great onstar is, and then fails to connect when it tries to send you to a rep to sign up. At first I though, oh wow, its broken, but then I remembered...its pre-digital! I seem to recall in '06/'07 onstar went digital and cutoff those that had the earlier analog-only units, unless they converted their systems. Obviously, no one ever converted this one...not surprising given the onstar adoption rate beyond the free trail period. Still, I have to wonder if any chevy dealers still have those old kits lying around if I rolled up into the service bay...hmm... :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It does, and I found some kits that appear to do just that.

Funny thing and somewhat related, I pushed the onstar button for grins on the mirror and of course it plays a recorded msg about how great onstar is, and then fails to connect when it tries to send you to a rep to sign up. At first I though, oh wow, its broken, but then I remembered...its pre-digital! I seem to recall in '06/'07 onstar went digital and cutoff those that had the earlier analog-only units, unless they converted their systems. Obviously, no one ever converted this one...not surprising given the onstar adoption rate beyond the free trail period. Still, I have to wonder if any chevy dealers still have those old kits lying around if I rolled up into the service bay...hmm... :)

If you have XM with the silver box behind the glove compartment, you don't need any kit. It's easy to add an aux jack. I'm glad to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17