Hello everyone. I have a head scratcher for you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1995 GMC YUKON 5.7 that is taking me for a loop. I just rebuilt the top half of the motor. anything touched was replaced with new parts. no cheapy. ac delco only.
Here is the problem at hand.
Wife driving to work monday morning and the truck was fine at the red light. Light turned green and she went to go and the truck died. no restart. I showed up to save the day and there is no fuel pump humming. <ie> bad fuel pump. I ordered in a NEW ac delco fuel pump. reading some of the forums, Google alot. come to find out the GROUND at the FUEL pump RELAY is INOP> no ground! ok jumped relay bang the pump starts! yay....NOPE tried to start no fire! it wont fire up! I am stressed and now I need YOUR help. I am all ears on what to do and where to look.
Please and Thank you for all information in fixing this truck. If I cant fix the truck I might be having a BON FIRE WITH IT!!!! and its the kindling!
Thanks,
Jack

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
So with pump running it will not restart correct? you had to bypass the relay to get the pump to run? Have you tested for a spark.
?

OP
OP
B

Bandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i jumped the pump and STILL no fire up. pump will only run if bypassed.

Haro504

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked the wiring diagram? maybe what ever powers the pump also powers other ignition components.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
bandit, don't have my primary computer up right now. give me about 24hrs to get it up and review the tech data for a clearer answer. but iirc the fuel circuit is initially run by a ecm controlled relay after which an oil pressure switch takes over the job. that being said if you run it manually for say one minute and disconnect the jumper something is wrong with the oil pump pressure switch, fuse or such.

looks something like this wiring diagram on this page. http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-tahoe-1995-chevy-tahoe-car-starts-then-dies

Last edited:

Bossy70

Reaction score
Well, it seems that you are losing power to your fuel pump and spark plugs... your ignition switch or lock cylinder could be the problem. It is their job to send power to your starter, fuel pump relay, and ignition system when you turn the key into the "start" position.

Check for spark at the plugs.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because the pump is pumping doesn't mean it's pushing the pressure or amt the engine needs, verify that.

OP
OP
B

Bandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok update. came home after work (now) turn the key on the on position nothing. went to the right side head to grab a hold of the ground wires and before actually grabbing them <ie> (as hand was entering between firewall and head) the fuel pump kicked on. waited for it to cycle. got off the bumper and went inside truck and it started!!!!! unknown what was touch moved or rubbed currently to fix or diagnose the issue. waiting for the am to be able to see as well as hopefully less mosquito's still up for advise. it anit over till this fat yukon pig sings!!!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there are "master grounds" that mount from battery and frame rail that mount in the back of engine. generally on the right cylinder head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt