Help with reviving suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm an owner of a 2011 Suburban LT with 115k miles, plain jane suspension. I've been buying suspension parts lately to replace shocks, and i can't decide whether to go with KYB from Rockauto, or the more expensive brand Bilsteins 4600's. My truck is usually a family hauler, and have only towed a small trailer filled with bricks, and about 80 cement bags from Lowes to fix my house. The rear sagged a bit, but performed fine.

Also, what i am looking for as well is to reduce some of the roll and excessive lean/squattage from my ride. Will a set of aftermarket Jounces work on reducing body roll and squat, or will i have to buy stiffer springs (maybe both)?

I am also going to add Hellwig front and rear swaybars.

I'd like to keep it stock height. Thank you beforehand for your advice and input!
I prefer what came with the truck, they lasted 165K miles.

Whatever you do, don't just replace the struts/shocks, replace the associated parts as well. On the 900s, the front jounce bumpers are in the strut assembly.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have already received sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum. Don't buy cheap stuff, as you won't be happy with the ride, and you will be replacing them again in the not too distant future.

Lots of folks here have used Bilstein shocks with great success. And, there is nothing wrong with using genuine GM replacement parts.

If you want to reduce/eliminate roll, get yourself a pair of Hellwig sway bars, and your roll will be eliminated. They are not cheap, they are well worth the price for the improved ride performance. Myself and @PNW VietVet have put these Hellwig sway bars through the paces on our test cloverleafs, and they really perform.

OP
OP
P

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
I've been buying parts here and there lately, decided to bite the bullet and buy Bilstein 4600s, Hellwig front/rear seay bars, moog front and rear end links, new oem front and rear uca, lca, oem panhard bar, moog 81069 rear springs, but a little stumped which fronts to get: the 81246, or 81248... any help/input will be appreciated. Took me a while, but had to get my gallbladder removed. Getting up there in the age bracket sucks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Bilsteins should serve you well I never had any issue's with them even many years down the road, the Hellwigs work great as well, can't comment on the springs I always kept mine stock

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been buying parts here and there lately, decided to bite the bullet and buy Bilstein 4600s, Hellwig front/rear seay bars, moog front and rear end links, new oem front and rear uca, lca, oem panhard bar, moog 81069 rear springs, but a little stumped which fronts to get: the 81246, or 81248... any help/input will be appreciated. Took me a while, but had to get my gallbladder removed. Getting up there in the age bracket sucks.

You're going to be super happy with this. New springs make a massive difference as do the Hellwig sway bars. I also think the OEM control arms are of significantly higher quality than even the best aftermarket replacement. You won't need the Moog rear sway bar links since the Hellwig rear bar comes with adjustable ones.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All great advice here. You’ve made the right choices. I can’t help with the front part numbers, I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.

BTW you can change the thread title. At the top right of any of your posts here there’s 3 dots and a triangle next to the word “unwatch”. Hit the triangle and a drop-down menu appears. Under there you’ll see the option to edit the thread. There you can change the title.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently used Moog 81250 front springs on my 07 Yukon XL Denali, when I replaced the stripped down shocks and resistors installed by the previous owner, and put back the OEM Z55 suspension. According to Rock Auto, they were exact replacement for the OEM front springs, which are no longer manufactured.

OP
OP
P

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I've already bought all the items i need for a complete overhaul. I decided to go with the Moog 81250 front springs. They might be too soft, but the wife occasionally drives it. So far, i'm almost $2500 down the hole with all these OEM parts, but i know it's worth the extra $$$ for a decent, long-lasting ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
So.... i was installing my Hellwig sway bars today. The front sway bar was a breeze to install, but the rear one is giving me trouble. It looks like the U bracket mounting holes do not line up (they're farther apart than the body's mounting holes). I've read a few threads that installating was a breeze, yet i dont know if i have to order new mounting brackets that fit my 11 Suburban rwd. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Update: I just slightly bent the brackets just enough to line up the mounting points. It got too cold, so had to call it a day. I'll deal with end links tomorrow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts