Heavy duty coil springs 2008 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougo

Reaction score
i installed an air ride mounted the compressor inside behind the left rear panel and gauge next to the gear shiftier on my 06 , Work great especially when loaded with adults, couple hours of work

OP
OP
M

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i installed an air ride mounted the compressor inside behind the left rear panel and gauge next to the gear shiftier on my 06 , Work great especially when loaded with adults, couple hours of work

Ordered the Moog Springs, the Bilstein shocks, and another air lift kit.

Should have everything in hand on Tuesday, I'll get it installed Wednesday or Thursday and see how much of an improvement that makes.

OP
OP
M

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last question for now. What are the best bump stops I can put in while I'm under the truck? Anybody have the part number for the 2500?

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I suggest buying 1" spacers to raise the rear end one inch. The pair only costs about $50. That would be perfect for leveling a fixed load like you carry. You might find that spacers are needed even after your replacement parts are installed.

Most people are under the impression that different shock absorbers can change vehicle height. That is false unless you install air shocks. The primary function of shock absorbers is to stop oscillation (bouncing). If you have ever seen a vehicle continue bouncing after hitting a bump you will understand why properly functioning shocks are needed.I

Regarding bump stops, they are only there for EXTREME motion when the vehicle "bottoms out"

OP
OP
M

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bump stops at this point are original and in very bad shape and deteriorated. I'd like to order a new set for the front and back, and I've heard the 2500 versions are much heavier Duty and longer-lasting. I'll keep the spacers in mind, and if this doesn't take care of the leveling issue, I'll order it set and install them.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
When you are hauling more weight the best approach is to get a heavier spring. Adding a spacer may bring the height back up but, it will normally reduce suspension travel and make the ride harsher. With a heavier load you have two problems the spring is to light and the shock dampening is to light. For the best ride you will need to address both problems.

The best bet is to get a heavier spring rate to raise it back to a normal ride height then get a shock with stiffer dampening to help control the extra weight.

My Tahoe is weighing in around 7800 pounds and so I am running heavier springs and shocks to get a very comfortable ride.

Bump stops are not used for suspension they are for the end of the suspension travel. If your suspension is set up correctly bump stops really shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

73Vetteman

Reaction score
When you are hauling more weight the best approach is to get a heavier spring. Adding a spacer may bring the height back up but, it will normally reduce suspension travel and make the ride harsher. With a heavier load you have two problems the spring is to light and the shock dampening is to light. For the best ride you will need to address both problems.

The best bet is to get a heavier spring rate to raise it back to a normal ride height then get a shock with stiffer dampening to help control the extra weight.

My Tahoe is weighing in around 7800 pounds and so I am running heavier springs and shocks to get a very comfortable ride.

Bump stops are not used for suspension they are for the end of the suspension travel. If your suspension is set up correctly bump stops really shouldn't matter.

You are correct about most of what you said. Where you are wrong is "Adding a spacer --- will normally reduce suspension travel and make the ride harsher". Neither is true. You were probably thinking of a spacer under a coil spring utilized with control arms such as on the front suspension. Because of the geometry, a 1" spacer gives a much different change in height and alters ride when used on the front.

When a spacer is used under the rear spring of a straight axle vehicle like ours, the change in vehicle height is exactly the same as the height of the spacer. The ride will also be the same, there is ample space between the coils so coil bind is not a problem, and suspension travel remains the same.

In his case, a 1" spacer would return the rear to desired height without any undesirable effects or problems.