Heater and Reservoir Hose - Special Tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you replace the heater core Ts with anything other than Gruven, be sure to use AC Delco OE. The aftermarket ones (read: cheap) have been known to die quickly.

The AC Delco ones run about $22 and $26 on Amazon; they are different parts so be sure to get the correct ones.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That billet piece from Gruven looks great, but the cheap plastic tee has lasted 180k miles, so I'm okay with the factory part.

If I break the existing plastic connector, do I need the tool to install the new hose end? Or does it just slide into place?

O'Rielly has a Gates replacement assembly (tee plus the 3 hoses) with no plastic connector - just the open hose end. Can the heater core end accept a hose clamp (without slipping)?

These snap connectors just push on to the heater core Ts. Getting them off is the issue.

If you get the long heater hose with no connector, I would recommend replacing the snap fitting since it has an o-ring in it and there's no telling what condition it's in. You'll need one like this. You can always buy it and return it if you don't use it.

Capture_resized.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a 3-way hose that connects to the water pump, coolant reservoir, and heater core at the firewall. The heater core end has a plastic fitting that appears to require a special tool (the other two are hose clamps). I can purchase this hose locally with or without the plastic end piece. Is there a special tool for this fitting?

@Scotty54 do you have rear heat, or front only?

I'm not 100% on this, but it seems that the ones without rear heat may have a push connector that doesn't have the ears, like this:

upload_2020-4-21_18-22-27.png

For that one you'd need a tool like @swathdiver posted.

I have rear heat and ALL of my quick connectors have the ears on them, unlike the one above. Theoretically these can be removed by squeezing the tabs (ears) and pulling apart the connection a la @PNW VietVet, or like @Doubeleive said you can go cave man on it.

Take a look at yours and let us know what yours has for that hose connection.

EDIT: the Gates one in Post #12 has the tabs (ears) to squeeze.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, pics please. Also, I think it was mentioned earlier. The tee's will be 2 different sizes and I think they are a different color as well.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
His won't have the T's if he doesn't have rear heat. I think he's only worried about the direct connection to the heater hose.