Heated Steering Wheel add on for a 2018 Z71 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Thomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the steering wheel to add heated wheel to a 2018 yet?

My 2018 Suburban Z71 came without heated wheel and in Canada where I live its a needed.

Do you have to change the wheel or is it just an add on module?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that you have to change the wheel and the clock spring (assuming that the wiring is in the steering column). My local dealers will not make the change since there is not a sanctioned retrofit kit from GM. It is a liability issue because it involves a modification to the SRS airbag system due to the use of a different clock spring.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it, and use it almost every day. The clock spring is an oem gm part - at the factory, they use one for heated vs. non heated, and I have had zero issues. Scroll down a little bit and there is a thread with video...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it, and use it almost every day. The clock spring is an oem gm part - at the factory, they use one for heated vs. non heated, and I have had zero issues. Scroll down a little bit and there is a thread with video...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
The dealers are not worried about the heated steering wheel piece, which I think we can all agree will work just fine. The worry is the risk if the airbag fails to deploy or if there is a claim that it should have deployed and it did not. The dealers do not want to be left holding the bag. This is the same situation from a number of years ago where dealers were asked to put a switch in that would allow deactivation of the passenger side airbag. Bottom line is that it is a risk management decision and the dealers are just not going to assume the risk even though it is all GM parts from the Suburban parts bin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN