1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated Steering Wheel add on for a 2018 Z71 Suburban?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ian Thomas, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Ian Thomas

Ian Thomas TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ian
    Has anyone changed the steering wheel to add heated wheel to a 2018 yet?

My 2018 Suburban Z71 came without heated wheel and in Canada where I live its a needed.

Do you have to change the wheel or is it just an add on module?

2. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    My understanding is that you have to change the wheel and the clock spring (assuming that the wiring is in the steering column). My local dealers will not make the change since there is not a sanctioned retrofit kit from GM. It is a liability issue because it involves a modification to the SRS airbag system due to the use of a different clock spring.

3. Texasdaddy

Texasdaddy Full Access Member

Name:
    Scro
    I did it, and use it almost every day. The clock spring is an oem gm part - at the factory, they use one for heated vs. non heated, and I have had zero issues. Scroll down a little bit and there is a thread with video...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

4. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    The dealers are not worried about the heated steering wheel piece, which I think we can all agree will work just fine. The worry is the risk if the airbag fails to deploy or if there is a claim that it should have deployed and it did not. The dealers do not want to be left holding the bag. This is the same situation from a number of years ago where dealers were asked to put a switch in that would allow deactivation of the passenger side airbag. Bottom line is that it is a risk management decision and the dealers are just not going to assume the risk even though it is all GM parts from the Suburban parts bin.