HEADS UP!! Black plastic door trim falls off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herkdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Black plastic trim on both back doors of my 2015 Tahoe LTZ were beginning to "pop" off, starting at the top. There was a 1/8" gap, and more in the slipstream at 70mph.

Dealer said it wasn't under warranty (even w/the extended full coverage warranty that cost a pretty penny). Dealer quoted over $300 to fix. So Google to the rescue. I used Gorilla double sided tape and it's good to go after rain storm, carwash, cold temps, and 30 days of trials.

Herkdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And this is why I do my due diligence before spending ungodly cash at the dealer. Cost me literally zero dollars to fix -- I already had the Gorilla tape. Beautiful Denali btw!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it an aftermarket extended warranty? A true GM extended warranty does not show that as an item not covered.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went looking on Google to find a fix and came across this thread. I am hoping this is not one of several items like the last generation that GM knows is a design flaw, but refuses to fix once outside of the warranty.
We should not have to be fixing these flaws out of our own pockets or do it yourself rigging on vehicles anywhere from $70k-$90k in price.

Herkdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I went looking on Google to find a fix and came across this thread. I am hoping this is not one of several items like the last generation that GM knows is a design flaw, but refuses to fix once outside of the warranty.
We should not have to be fixing these flaws out of our own pockets or do it yourself rigging on vehicles anywhere from $70k-$90k in price.

The Gorilla tape does indeed fix this. Mine is holding strong after lots of rain and a few road trips. But it is the principle, isn’t it. I’m very happy with the Tahoe and if this is my only complaint then I can’t ask for much more than that.

BTW, Tahoe14, I have an aftermarket warranty and my dealer said it wasn’t covered. Never took them to task because I fixed it and it wasn’t worth the a$$ pain.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Herkdriver, thanks for the feedback, they should fix them no questions asked whether its in or out of warranty, design flaw. Had two on my 15 fixed under warranty before buying a 17.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gorilla tape does indeed fix this. Mine is holding strong after lots of rain and a few road trips. But it is the principle, isn’t it. I’m very happy with the Tahoe and if this is my only complaint then I can’t ask for much more than that.

BTW, Tahoe14, I have an aftermarket warranty and my dealer said it wasn’t covered. Never took them to task because I fixed it and it wasn’t worth the a$$ pain.

Yes it is. Now even if we were talking about one of their economy cars, people pay their good hard earned money and should expect a quality product. Thus for those of us paying what is close to the price of a condo in certain areas of the country, we should expect things like this to be fixed/corrected, no questions asked. The same with the leather on the center console which apparently is a known problem. My previous generation Suburban was plagued with some of the known issues, the worst being the dashboards cracking. They refused to fix my Sub, but I did at least find one dealership to fix my Avalanche. Yet the majority of people with the issue have had no luck, including those who forked over big bucks for new Escalades between 07-14.
I've always been a Chevy guy(and by extension GM), but maybe the loyalty is misplaced if it is only a one way street.
Don't get me wrong, I have not given up on my Escalade yet, I am just surprised to find some of these things that are commonly wrong. I hope my local dealership will consider fixing them despite mine being out of warranty.

Herkdriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it is. Now even if we were talking about one of their economy cars, people pay their good hard earned money and should expect a quality product. Thus for those of us paying what is close to the price of a condo in certain areas of the country, we should expect things like this to be fixed/corrected, no questions asked. The same with the leather on the center console which apparently is a known problem. My previous generation Suburban was plagued with some of the known issues, the worst being the dashboards cracking. They refused to fix my Sub, but I did at least find one dealership to fix my Avalanche. Yet the majority of people with the issue have had no luck, including those who forked over big bucks for new Escalades between 07-14.
I've always been a Chevy guy(and by extension GM), but maybe the loyalty is misplaced if it is only a one way street.
Don't get me wrong, I have not given up on my Escalade yet, I am just surprised to find some of these things that are commonly wrong. I hope my local dealership will consider fixing them despite mine being out of warranty.

Vector,

Good on 'ya! I hope it works out in the end. Like I said, touch wood, this is the only issue I have with the Tahoe. By the way, is that center console lid really covered in leather? I always assumed it was some synthetic material. Just for some perspective, these type of problems aren't unique to brands like GM. I'd never buy a new Mercedes or BMW in part because these issues pop up all the time in those incredibly expensive vehicles. And the dealer doesn't always bend to the will of the customer.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vector,

Good on 'ya! I hope it works out in the end. Like I said, touch wood, this is the only issue I have with the Tahoe. By the way, is that center console lid really covered in leather? I always assumed it was some synthetic material. Just for some perspective, these type of problems aren't unique to brands like GM. I'd never buy a new Mercedes or BMW in part because these issues pop up all the time in those incredibly expensive vehicles. And the dealer doesn't always bend to the will of the customer.

To the best of my knowledge it is leather on my center console.

I got off the phone earlier today with my local Cadillac dealer and the SA said Cadillac is cutting way back on extending courtesy repairs to vehicles out of warranty, even for known design flaws. He said he had a guy who was only 400 miles over his warranty and his A/C compressor went out. He thought he would get approval to replace it under warranty, but they said no. So the customer got stuck with an $1,800 bill.

Don't forget that while Mercedes and BMW might have similar issues, they are almost expected to. Our Cadillac's cost just as much if not more, so I'd think GM should be willing to fix problems that are common and known to be a failure of design/materials.

`