HEADS UP!! Black plastic door trim falls off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I've heard at least one person reference this, however, a couple of nights ago the wife complained about a "new noise" in the LF door/seatbelt area. I drove it - nothing.

She then filmed the noise the next day. Come to find out - it only happens at highway speeds - 70 mph +. Just from the noise on her phone I knew it was some sort of loose part/"flapping in the wind" noise.

All 3 of the left side black plastic trim pieces on the front and rear doors were loose at the top and middle. They used these $.10 Chinese clips fastened to the plastic and then the clip presses into the door. The clip is staying in the door but separating from the trim. I just popped it all apart and siliconed all of them on and they are good to go.

Everyone check yours. Mine is babied - garaged, cleaned every 10 minutes, blah, blah. If mine fell off then any of them can.

dave111

Reaction score
same happened with me mine left passenger door was coming , took to dealer they fixed it with silcone

Nord

Reaction score
I've been waiting for the last 3 weeks for replacement trim pieces to come in to my dealer. They originally told me it'd be 2-4 days. Yeah, right!:chair: I'm about to tell them forget it and I'll just fix it myself. I guess that's Government Motors for ya.

Tahoeboss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plastic Trim falls off

I just noticed mine starting to fall off yesterday. Heard a flapping sound at 75 MPH and sure enough, I looked in the mirror and they were flapping away. The Gloss Black trim pieces that cover the door pillar on the outside. Stopped, got out and they move around by hand. They feel like they are going to fall off at any second. I cannot believe it. It wasn't just the one, 3 of them are loose. What a cheap and poor design. $70 Grand and they have tape holding on trim pieces. Guess I will waste my own time at the dealer now because GM doesn't believe in quality. I only have 4,000 miles on this truck, and am starting to regret the purchase. What a shame.:smh:

Greenec98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Short Fix

I just drove from St. Louis, Missouri to Destin Florida going about 75-80 most of the way there. I heard this flapping sound coming from what I thought was the driver side seatbelt fasten on the wall. Never thought about it being something on the outside. Tonight when my sister got out of the backseat and closed the door heard a sound and looked and see 1 of the black plastic trim piece is not clipped on the top and doesn't line up the same anymore. I'm on vacation for 1 week and then are driving back to Missouri. It's about a 12 hour drive and don't want the piece to totally fall off when driving. Does anyone have a temporary fix to get me back home. Not sure if electric tap that's black would work. Still mad at GM for this poor quality. $74,000 for a Yukon XL Denali and plastic trim falls off after 27,000 miles on the car.

mobslice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Door pillars - silicone

I'm a novice when it comes to body work... what type of silicone did you use to secure the door pillars to your 2015 Tahoe? I agree with your assessment... .10 cent clips (what a joke!)... Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took my 15 Suburban LT in to have all 3 pillar covers on each side replaced and I got to spend some time with the tech directly and I asked if they had changed or improved the covers to keep this from happening again.....which he told me that they use an epoxy or strong hot melt to secure the upper metal bracket to the panel vs the original (extremely cheap I might add) double sided tape.

I personally took each panel off and cleaned the panel and bracket with acetone and reinstalled the upper bracket with the 3M 'extreme duty' outdoor double sided tape then put them back on.....they stayed for a while but after a few good washes they came loose again.

Hopefully this epoxy/hot melt will hold for a while longer.

I mentioned to the tech people using silicone and he said what I expected - that silicone in a body work environment is a big NO NO due to paint issues down the road if any body work needs to be done and silicone isn't the strongest in terms of 'structural' integrity but epoxy or hot melt would hold the panel better.

Last edited:

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came loose on one door too. Dealer fixed it. I'm not sure how...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st