Headlights Always ON

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arcticcajun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, we have a new to us 2016 Tahoe LTZ. One thing I always noticed on these prior to me getting one was the DRL LED strip under the headlamp. I have also read that only certain models have the strip as a DRL. However, ours seems to have a weird issue. When the car is on, the headlights are ALWAYS on. The headlamp on indicator is always illuminated on the cluster, and when I move the headlamp switch to "auto" to turn them off, nothing happens (my 2015 Silverado will state "auto light control off"). I place the switch in parking lamps and the headlights still stay on, no matter what. What could be going on with this thing?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure they are a stock or stock replacement bulb ???

Sounds like they may be aftermarket hid or led.

My 17 are on all the time, but function as normal with the switch.

Honestly, I don't recall if the LED was lit as a DRL when purchased...but since my LED upgrade to morimoto 2 stroke 3.0, they are always on...but work as they should with the switch

OP
OP
arcticcajun

arcticcajun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These are the factory HID lamps. So in park I can turn the lights off completely, but when in drive, the headlamps stay on no matter what...cannot turn them off. Is this a Canada thing? I did find out that this Tahoe was made for Canada...not sure if that is a thing or not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the factory HID lamps. So in park I can turn the lights off completely, but when in drive, the headlamps stay on no matter what...cannot turn them off. Is this a Canada thing? I did find out that this Tahoe was made for Canada...not sure if that is a thing or not.
In Canada they do not have the option to turn off the lights, that is law there, in previous models a simple swap of the headlight switch with a american version resolved the problem. you could try that.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am willing to bet the right dealer tech can fix your issue by programing. if you are in deed not in canada

OP
OP
arcticcajun

arcticcajun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, did not know that! Looking at my build sheet, I see there is a Z49 code for Canadian Base Equipment. I wonder if that has to do with it or what else is whacky like these lights.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, did not know that! Looking at my build sheet, I see there is a Z49 code for Canadian Base Equipment. I wonder if that has to do with it or what else is whacky like these lights.
shouldn't be anything different besides the lights other than it would probably have a federal emissions system instead of Ca.
dealer is going to charge $100 to program it (if they can), cheaper to just get a light switch.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur with the Canadien hypothesis. My 1999 Tahoe LT 4X4 was Canadien built and the headlights stayed on all the time. Had my mechanic try to by pass the command in the Central Computer but couldn't. The lights are tied to the ignition system, so if you try to delete it the truck won't run. Pretty slick and I must commend their forward thinking. When the Habs want the lights on all the time...They stay on ALL THE TIME! Whether you like it or not! LOL!!

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes all vehicles in Canada have headlights on at all time or equivalent.The HL switch has an off but it is spring loaded and returns to the headlight position,being able to only shut off headlights in park.PS. Quebecers are Habs or habitants (french)The rest of the country is basically English speaking.I don't find the bulbs are adversely affected for longevity and you have your headlights on at night as to some that are only running lights at night or bad weather,not good.Nice fish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts