Header recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollincoal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site. I just purchased my first non Ford truck. 2000 GMC Yukon. I’ve done a little bit of research on the truck so far. Curious if anyone can recommend a good middle of the road header for the old 5.3 ? I’m gonna start with air intake and exhaust. Probably do those at the same time. Then it will be time for cam swap, valve springs, push rods etc.
I’m a diesel guy so not very familiar with ls based performance companies. Any suggestions on air intake, and headers to start with? Thanks!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Check out the build threads guys have here.

Careful though, guys like @Rocket Man, @Tonyrodz and @iamdub really like to help you spend your money.
True story :D
Hey guys, new to the site. I just purchased my first non Ford truck. 2000 GMC Yukon. I’ve done a little bit of research on the truck so far. Curious if anyone can recommend a good middle of the road header for the old 5.3 ? I’m gonna start with air intake and exhaust. Probably do those at the same time. Then it will be time for cam swap, valve springs, push rods etc.
I’m a diesel guy so not very familiar with ls based performance companies. Any suggestions on air intake, and headers to start with? Thanks!
Is it 2 or 4wd? Speed Engineering has a budget minded long tube header and catless Y pipe supposed to be PnP on a 4wd--wasn't on mine tho. I went with the 1 3/4.
Speedengineering.com
Here's a cold start with those headers and Y, along with a 3" in/out MBRP muffler.

OP
OP
Rollincoal

Rollincoal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s four wheel drive, yeah I’ve noticed how expensive things get pretty quick. Reminds me of buying parts for my diesel!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

I've not done headers yet, but other folks will chime in.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It’s four wheel drive, yeah I’ve noticed how expensive things get pretty quick. Reminds me of buying parts for my diesel!
Imo, not as expensive as diesel. If you do any engine mods, you def will need to beef up your trans.
There's a ton of aftermarket parts out there for the LS based motors. Just gotta do your homework so you're not doing the job twice.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and LS world. There are a bunch of great folks here. Personally, I’ve ran K&N and Spectra in the past regarding CAIs. K&N is the staple, but always proud of the product. I was impressed with fit and quality of the Spectra for the price. I currently have factory air boxes on all of my vehicles. Great recommendations above. Also, check out Texas Speed and Brian Tooley. Do yourself a huge favor, and put a larger external transmission cooler on with a Corvette style servo to help save that tranny.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and LS world. There are a bunch of great folks here. Personally, I’ve ran K&N and Spectra in the past regarding CAIs. K&N is the staple, but always proud of the product. I was impressed with fit and quality of the Spectra for the price. I currently have factory air boxes on all of my vehicles. Great recommendations above. Also, check out Texas Speed and Brian Tooley. Do yourself a huge favor, and put a larger external transmission cooler on with a Corvette style servo to help save that tranny.
^^^
This. I have a Brian Tooley stage 3 cam, with pushrods and beehive springs. Trans cooler and vette servo make a world of difference. Vinci is also another quality product with great, personal customer service.

Raptor Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have a 2007 Tahoe and went with Kooks headers. I can feel a definite increase in power and really like the sound. Went with long tubes with x-pipe and true dual Magnaflows out the back.

the Kooks are not cheap, but the flanges are thick and the pipes are very strong. Here’s more information about what I installed.

Good luck with your build!

12539D5C-15B0-4FE0-8755-4A95939D5754.jpeg 780689ED-60DE-4A67-BC56-4D4DCFC811A0.jpeg