HD Hood Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGreatGazoo

Reaction score
F1622309-662C-43EB-BCF0-4E76BBA49AD2.jpeg
I'm guessing that's paintable but I'd still be concerned the paint will chip at the caulk. What exactly is your reasoning for caulking there?
The first reason is you’re replicating the factory appearance.
The second - We’ve encountered problems with certain aftermarket companies parts rusting up and it always seemed to start at the seams. This was our answer.

The product we use is from SEM and it’s a seam sealer (they have a few to choose from). I used the term caulk.

It’s just an extra step to try help the parts survive Chicagoland winters...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 202133
The first reason is you’re replicating the factory appearance.
The second - We’ve encountered problems with certain aftermarket companies parts rusting up and it always seemed to start at the seams. This was our answer.

The product we use is from SEM and it’s a seam sealer (they have a few to choose from). I used the term caulk.

It’s just an extra step to try help the parts survive Chicagoland winters...
SEM makes good stuff. Seam sealer isn't what most people would call caulk so that's the reason I asked. The factory doesn't use a seam sealer at that location though, correct? At least not on any of my hoods. I take it you work at a body shop?

TheGreatGazoo

Reaction score
SEM makes good stuff. Seam sealer isn't what most people would call caulk so that's the reason I asked. The factory doesn't use a seam sealer at that location though, correct? At least not on any of my hoods. I take it you work at a body shop?
Yes sir I do and yeah, force of habit (typing how I talk). We work on the German cars mostly but that’s due to the dealer accounts. We’ll fix anything.

Most of the newer vehicles today are all seam sealed, especially the German ones. It’s just common practice around here.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir I do and yeah, force of habit (typing how I talk). We work on the German cars mostly but that’s due to the dealer accounts. We’ll fix anything.

Most of the newer vehicles today are all seam sealed, especially the German ones. It’s just common practice around here.
We don't have rust issues here , glad we don't have to worry about that stuff. I'll never work on German cars again; my friend owns a body shop and he won't even take one in anymore. Things are overengineered and purposely made to be hard to wrench on. My daughter had a Passat and I hated working on that thing.

TheGreatGazoo

Reaction score
We don't have rust issues here , glad we don't have to worry about that stuff. I'll never work on German cars again; my friend owns a body shop and he won't even take one in anymore. Things are overengineered and purposely made to be hard to wrench on. My daughter had a Passat and I hated working on that thing.
Once you learn them, they’re as easy as a Honda. It just takes time... I love working on them, no room for error and everything has to be spot on. I doubt I’d ever own one but I’ll fix them all day. Same with Maserati, weird shit, but with the higher labor rates you just can’t loose.

And I wont lie, I enjoy test drives to check for “wind noise”.

E30Newbie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great thread!

Now someone should post up pics of the conversion, process, for the Yukon & Denali, for those who are looking to do it, will know what's involed. May help. Fortunately I have a Tahoe, direct fit for me. My only bit of added info, BUY OEM if you can. When I first did some hoods, got aftermarkets, and fit for $hit. Save the hassle, and get an OEM hood.

What bumper is on the front of this ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts