HD fan clutch vs severe duty fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas
Has anyone here tried the severe-duty fan clutch, and did it make a difference? I'm changing mine out and they both cost the exact same. Any info would be great.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I look at it this way, if that is the only two choices for your rig then go with what you feel is best. You did not put any info down for your rig so now all is guess work on any of our opinions. I guess I could just wing it and assume you have the only 2000-2006 rig that is exactly like every other 2000-2006 rig out there.

Like shocks, I have never seen light duty shocks. They are always at least heavy duty shocks. The heavy duty fan clutch is likely the most light duty of the two. Is there any way to compare what you already have on the rig to see what the big difference would be?

By the way, you can thank @Galante for my smart ass remarks about the rig info. He doesn't like it when I post the easiest way for you to ALWAYS share the right rig info. Ask him for the explanation for this. I am sure he will be happy to share.

OP
OP
ROGELIO A GUZMAN

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way, if that is the only two choices for your rig then go with what you feel is best. You did not put any info down for your rig so now all is guess work on any of our opinions. I guess I could just wing it and assume you have the only 2000-2006 rig that is exactly like every other 2000-2006 rig out there.

Like shocks, I have never seen light duty shocks. They are always at least heavy duty shocks. The heavy duty fan clutch is likely the most light duty of the two. Is there any way to compare what you already have on the rig to see what the big difference would be?

By the way, you can thank @Galante for my smart ass remarks about the rig info. He doesn't like it when I post the easiest way for you to ALWAYS share the right rig info. Ask him for the explanation for this. I am sure he will be happy to share.
Well I went with the sever duty fan clutch, it does sound like a jet taking off. But the piece of mind that it's pulling more air makes me happy. I have a 04 denali xl 6.0

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well I went with the sever duty fan clutch, it does sound like a jet taking off. But the piece of mind that it's pulling more air makes me happy. I have a 04 denali xl 6.0

We recommend, except @Galante and @Rocket Man, that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by members that want to help. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that in your signature. Instead of posting the pic itself, you can download your pic to your computer, then right click on that pic and copy the link address and then paste that link address in the signature information. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dammit. I was gonna advise against the severe duty but then saw your post was a few days old. What I've always seen is the "severe duty" clutches are like having no clutch at all. It's like having the fan locked at all times. The point of a clutch is to not have the fan dragging down the motor when it's not needed, reducing power and fuel economy. While not a problem for you in L.A., those that live where it gets really cold may have problems with over-cooling.

OP
OP
ROGELIO A GUZMAN

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit. I was gonna advise against the severe duty but then saw your post was a few days old. What I've always seen is the "severe duty" clutches are like having no clutch at all. It's like having the fan locked at all times. The point of a clutch is to not have the fan dragging down the motor when it's not needed, reducing power and fuel economy. While not a problem for you in L.A., those that live where it gets really cold may have problems with over-cooling.
I'll drive with it for awhile. It has a lifetime warranty , worse case scenario I'll take it back for warranty and get the hd duty.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually take my fan off in the winter months.
My old blazer that I installed e-fans on had the dial-a-temp knob. In the winter she got set at 225 degrees and I let the heater do most of the work at idle and low speeds. I did have a manual toggle switch if needed, but only used it once in 5 years.
You could wear shorts in that thing if just cruising around town under 30mph even if it was 20 below hahaha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts