Has anyone swapped autoride with standard shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
pretty much under tow conditions is changes thats about all. Ive pulled the rear air set up and replaced with djm shocks and put from 2-5 inch drop springs in rear and its fine.

warrlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autoride

How is the ride? Did it improve or stay the same?

:emotions122: My experience is a bit different. I installed a Belltech 2/3 drop kit. Left the rear autoride shocks on (with shock mount extensions) but swapped the fronts out for the shorter Nitro-drop shocks...

What I found is that Autoride more or less ceases completely. You get the big orange Service Autoride System warning and a really rough ride.

Note: I did not install the "Autoride Indicator Lite Eliminators", which are some 1/2 watt 3.9 ohm resistors (from what I hear).

My plan is to go with McGaughy's drop spindles, take out the Belltech drop keys and put the stock keys and Autoride fronts back in.

That way I'll have four Autoride shocks on each corner with the same geometry as stock.:)

tann808

Reaction score
I recently purchased my '02 Yukon Denali and installed a 2/3 McGaughy's Deluxe drop kit but I noticed that my rear Auto Air Ride shocks were leaking and the compressor was turning on every 10 minutes and due to the 3" rear drop it would constantly bottom out (very annoying)

I priced out some Auto Air Shocks and it ranged from anywhere from $599.00 to $1200.00 (that's insane!)

That's when I looked into McGaughy's Air Helper Kit (approx. $150.00) the kit is basically an airbag that goes inside of the rear springs.

air_bag_2.jpg

I have the air hose nozzle (included in the kit) located next to my hitch for easy access but I'm looking into having it hooked up to a compressor so I can lower or raise the PSI in the cab.

air_bag_1.jpg

I highly recommend these! Very good bang for the buck and since the rear never goes lower than the Auto Air Ride sensor, it'll never turn on the compressor.

It'll be cool if somehow I could use the Auto Air Ride compressors for the Air Bag Helper Kit. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

If your Auto Air Ride is shot and needs replacement...we have an alternative to purchasing new Shocks. I'm pretty sure that this kit was designed for the McGaughy's rear springs but I'm sure there are some type of universal firestone airbags that'll fit the factory springs.

Hope this helps?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I didnt know that bags could serve as rear shocks too, its funny that almost all GMs damn Autoride shocks have that BS leak problem!

woody73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IM planning on ordering the KYB z71 strut and rear shocks and z71 rear springs as my service light does not work. Does any body know if it will fit.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all of them leak I’m at 130k original air ride shocks ( if they blow today I’m blaming you)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345