Has anyone run both the 'clean' and 'dirty' PCV lines into their catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Hey, odd question: I have a catch can setup for my 'dirty' pcv setup. Would it be a bad idea to 'T' both my clean and dirty lines from the Valve Covers to the can...then 'T' both the clean/dirty lines from the can to the manifold/intake? I do see some oil coming from the 'clean' side...and figured that it couldn't hurt, while I have the tools available. But I'm interested in feedback from others.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question directly, yes, I think at least one member of this forum did that when his engine was pumping oil through the fresh air line.

Having said that, you shouldn't have any oil being pumped into the intake from the fresh air line (ahead of the TB). That doesn't mean it isn't happening, just that it shouldn't be happening. It likely means you have positive pressure on that side, which again is not the way things are supposed to work.

It could mean your PCV valve is plugged (although you likely would have a code for that), it could also mean you have another issue. You might want to try a compression test (both dry and wet) and also a leak down. That will tell you if you have something going on in one or more of the cylinders compression wise.

OP
OP
M

MLRTYME

Reaction score
To answer your question directly, yes, I think at least one member of this forum did that when his engine was pumping oil through the fresh air line.

Having said that, you shouldn't have any oil being pumped into the intake from the fresh air line (ahead of the TB). That doesn't mean it isn't happening, just that it shouldn't be happening. It likely means you have positive pressure on that side, which again is not the way things are supposed to work.

It could mean your PCV valve is plugged (although you likely would have a code for that), it could also mean you have another issue. You might want to try a compression test (both dry and wet) and also a leak down. That will tell you if you have something going on in one or more of the cylinders compression wise.
Yeah, I didn't articulate my current situation well. I was thinking ahead. I just replaced a bad head gasket (and I did both head gaskets at the same time)...so I saw tremendous amounts of oil out that 'clean pcv' side into the intake...as that was the side where the head gasket let go. I'm sure it was 'pushing' oil out that side. However, when pulling the engine apart, the driver's side (dirty side) pistons/plugs were also coated with oil, even though the head gasket was intact. I was just thinking of doing some forward-thinking to keep the entire process as clean as possible when I finish this recent engine repair. That way, if something DOES happen to one side of the engine (like a head gasket again), I could limit the damage done by limiting any future oil introduced into the system to keep oil out of the intake and possible keep the healthy side in decent working order.

I did clean/check the PCV valve in the dirty side (with the updated version valve cover I recently purchased) during the prep for the new heads/gaskets, and it seems to be working correctly. I also know that while I did a marginal job cleaning the tops of the pistons, since they were coated pistons, I didn't go too crazy and risk removing the coating. I wanted to break the engine in a bit with the new gaskets then run a little seafoam through to clean off what buildup is left over on that side. I just wasn't sure if the catch can would limit air flow to the point where having both run through the can would be a detriment to the system. Sounds like it isn't...so I will proceed with my modifications.

Thanks for the heads up. I searched the forum for a few minutes. Saw lots of catch can installs, but none specifically calling out connecting to both pcv lines.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t plumb the clean side to the catchcan. You can buy a clean side separator which will catch any oil that’s vaporized on that side at WOT and when the rpms come down and pressure normalizes the oil drips back into the passenger valve cover. It replaces the oil fill cap.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean side?

Que???
The passenger side of the PCV system, where clean air is drawn into the system. The thing with a CSS is it’s hard to tell if it’s doing anything because it self-empties constantly. I bought mine as part of Elite Engineering’s catch can system. I figured why not.

chueykooh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 22 Tahoe Z71 with the 6.2 . I just bought the UPR single valve catch can, my question is did I waste my money by not getting a dual valve to separate the clean side as well. When I looked today at my clean side line I noticed oil in the line. I only have 2,200 miles on the truck. I read they are self emptying, whatever that means. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I rarely use WOT but I do have a bit of a lead foot, and I do tow a fairly large boat (about 8,000 pounds) 1 mile from the boat storage to the launch ramp a few times every summer when taking the boat to Catalina. I also tow a couple seadoo's, but they are only about 3,500 pounds with the trailer. I read the clean side valve only really matters when towing heavy loads or WOT. I honestly know nothing when it comes to new engines with direct inject and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 22 Tahoe Z71 with the 6.2 . I just bought the UPR single valve catch can, my question is did I waste my money by not getting a dual valve to separate the clean side as well. When I looked today at my clean side line I noticed oil in the line. I only have 2,200 miles on the truck. I read they are self emptying, whatever that means. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I rarely use WOT but I do have a bit of a lead foot, and I do tow a fairly large boat (about 8,000 pounds) 1 mile from the boat storage to the launch ramp a few times every summer when taking the boat to Catalina. I also tow a couple seadoo's, but they are only about 3,500 pounds with the trailer. I read the clean side valve only really matters when towing heavy loads or WOT. I honestly know nothing when it comes to new engines with direct inject and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Not sure. This is the 07-14 section, before DI. You’d be better off posting in the 21-up section.