Has anyone run 275 50 20 tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I am running 305/50x20 tires on my 07 Yukon XL Denali with a stock suspension height, and they are about 1 inch taller overall than the 275/50x20 tire size that you are inquiring about. Sorry, but that is the best that I can do to help you.

I'm sure that there are folks in this Forum who can help you more closely.

Good luck!
Do you rub at all with tires that wide?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TheAutumnWind. Yes, they were a bit more expensive, but with a 700+ rating on wear, I rationalized (rightly or wrongly) that they would last a long, long time. And, I only drive this truck on paved roads. Also, Tire Rack gave me a $70 rebate for the purchase of the set of four.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TheAutumnWind. Yes, they were a bit more expensive, but with a 700+ rating on wear, I rationalized (rightly or wrongly) that they would last a long, long time. And, I only drive this truck on paved roads. Also, Tire Rack gave me a $70 rebate for the purchase of the set of four.
700+? What's the mileage warranty? I went from super old Bridgestone duelers with 80k mile warranty to 50k mile warranty hankooks recently and I'm loving the hankooks. Half the price of the duelers too...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Michelin Defender Tire Warranty is 70k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first.

Baddawg

Reaction score
While the clearance is small, there is no rubbing.
Interesting.
My 275/60 R 20 are 10.8" wide vs 12" wide for the 305s. , so only .6" on either side.
The sidewall on mine is 6.5" vs 6" on the 305/50. So 1" different in diameter.
Mine only rub the fender liner in front, on the passenger side, just a tiny bit on full lock right turn. For some reason the fender liner isn't perfect there. No rub at all on the drivers side. Not enough rub to bother me but the 305s would be nice.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
My 275/60 R 20 are 10.8" wide vs 12" wide for the 305s. , so only .6" on either side.
The sidewall on mine is 6.5" vs 6" on the 305/50. So 1" different in diameter.
Mine only rub the fender liner in front, on the passenger side, just a tiny bit on full lock right turn. For some reason the fender liner isn't perfect there. No rub at all on the drivers side. Not enough rub to bother me but the 305s would be nice.

The Defender tire's section width does not translate all the way to the tread width, and this may account in part for the difference that you mention. While the Defender's section width is 12.4", its tread width is only 10.0". This, combined with the slightly smaller overall diameter of 1.0" versus the 275/60x20 tire size, is most likely the reason why my 305/50x20 tire size does not rub.

Prior to purchasing the Defenders, I ran the 275/60x20 tire size with a set of Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires, and there was no rubbing. When looking at potential new tires, I did see at least one tire in the 305/50x20 size that had an 11.0" tread width. I did not select that specific tire, even though I preferred the widest tread width possible, as I believed that the increased tread width might result in rubbing.

One final note, prior to installing the Defenders, I purchased some plastic push-pin fasteners, just like to ones that already exist on the bottom of the front fender liners, and I installed them along the bottom of the fender liners, between the existing ones, just to ensure that the fender liners were nicely and evenly and flatly attached to the existing plastic mounting plate. I did not slit, or zip tie, or alter the fender liners in any other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right