Has anyone found a use for this useless cubby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone considering that mod.. I would imagine that the L-Brackets on the back of this gang box might work?

Or

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with him. He cant remember the specifics of it, but did it with a Dremel, and 3 L-Shaped type brackets that will accept a screw, and 3 very flat faced upholstery screws. He never could find the L-Shaped brackets commercially, but he found some in a desk he was taking apart.

He Dremeled the wall, at a angle, until the Samsung Desk Charger would just sit flushly to the interior pocket wall. Used 3 of the L-Shaped brackets to hold it in place. Ran the USB cable to the USB out on the back of his radio for power. He also told me he went thru 3 pockets before he find the right placement for the charger. He then used a couple layers of folded over cotton to protect the face from the opposite wall, and to also hold the phone in the pocket.

He first built it for his Note8, and it continued working for his Note9, and Note10.

His only complaint was the Samsung Wireless Charger had a LED in it, that was always on. And with no phone on it, it kinda annoyed him. But he got over it.

He has no pictures, and cant get any either. That Hoe got stolen X-Mas 2020.

Edit: Damn Nannies
Edit#2: He couldnt remember if it was the left wall, or the right wall, he did this mod too.. So check your spacing!

Wow that’s really awesome. Huge bummer it got stolen ☹️ Having trouble visualizing lol. I suppose one could hot glue one of those puck style wireless chargers on one side of it. Then it would just be a matter of how to secure the phone sideways against it.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are right on your earlier comment about it being to big, depth wise. Maybe he cut off the back for it to fit deep enough.. I didnt ask him about it

ccole

Reaction score
Don't forget how easy the center console is to modify for a capacitive charger. It took me $10 in parts and 15min in a parking lot with hand tools. I fully agree the cubby is illogical.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wasnt a GM planned cubby. That was the space allocated for 4x4 trucks and the 2wd and AWD versions got a "Block off Plate" AKA Cubby hole since they dont have the switches that the 4x4 and AWD have.

You could stick a vertical design K.I.T.T. module in there and then you would have someone to talk to when driving alone at night in the rain out on the lonely ol interstates while tornado sirens are going off for counties surrounding the area during the month of February. Or you could also just be Cryin' in the rain while trying to make sense of the debate between Gen 3 and 4 v8's.

Or not. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9