Has Anyone Cross-Shoped The Land Cruiser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeavOR

Reaction score
I own both a 15 Tahoe and a 13 LC. Make your decision based on your intended use. Our Tahoe is the family car and the LC is for me to mod and go wherever I want. If you’re carting around kids on road trips you’ll be happier with the Tahoe and the much better MPG. If you want to go off-road and have full terrain capability the LC is your choice.

We love both trucks, I’d be happy to answer questions about either rig. Also, there is much speculation on the LC forum that next year will be a new design.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LX570, the interior between an LC and LX is a night and day difference bear in mind. Same powertrain overall. Though going into LX (or even LC) territory you’re better off getting the new Navigator for ultra luxury for less. I wouldn’t recommend buying any gm full size at this point unless its an absolute deal since a refresh is coming in fall 2019/2020. Even then, I’d wait til the second model year just to be safe.
I read somewhere that the average income of Land Cruiser owners is higher than that of Lexus LX owners.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend buying any gm full size at this point unless its an absolute deal since a refresh is coming in fall 2019/2020.
Probably a subject for debate. Some would advise to buy one now, as the design is only a few model years old and the powertrain is proven. In my opinion, the tech isn't half bad either.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Toyota kept the Land Cruiser from the refresh it needs, is one, its pretty good the way it sits, second of all, the market has passed it by. We can agree that the Full size pickup and its brothers the Full Size SUV are really an American Instution, as much as Europe or Africa wants one, you really don't see them being sold in large numbers outside of North America. Therefore Toyota and to lesser degree Nissan has to weigh the potential sales of new full sizers against how much market they can obtain. Ford has barely made a dent, with both its Nav and Ex. Its received a lot of good press and some really good sales months, but the bloom is off that rose. In Canada Exs are down 15percent and that includes all models large and standard. Toyota may not wish to continue to swim in that pool. In my humble opinion anyway.

OP
OP
At Law

At Law

Reaction score
Re Wilco's post and higher net worth with LC vs Lexus, I can definitely see that and agree.
Especially, here in the Midwest.
People with a comfortable net wealth are much more inclined to play it down a bit.
This goes for homes and other items as well.
They enjoy very nice possessions, they are just not flashy about it.
That is reserved for those who are flashy.
Warren Buffet lives here in Omaha and he lives very well. However, he is not driving a Bentley, nor does he have the most expensive house in Omaha.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first edition of the book, "The Millionaire Next Door", the average millionaire back then drove a Grand Cherokee and their watch cost about $40 if memory serves.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re Wilco's post and higher net worth with LC vs Lexus, I can definitely see that and agree.
People with a comfortable net wealth are much more inclined to play it down a bit.
Warren Buffet lives here in Omaha and he lives very well. However, he is not driving a Bentley, nor does he have the most expensive house in Omaha.

How many people do you have to transport? How about on road trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dooba

Reaction score
Probably a subject for debate. Some would advise to buy one now, as the design is only a few model years old and the powertrain is proven. In my opinion, the tech isn't half bad either.

tl;dr My comment was purely subjective since we only owned a 16 Yukon from current gen. Could get the final MY of this gen when next gen is announced/on the lot to get an even heftier discount if the powertrain, tech, etc. arent worth the price delta. Thats how I’d go for it if I was looking for a gm full size now.

We bought a 16 Yukon which we’ve only had one issue with that still exists with even 2018 models iirc (water getting into the antenna housing) that was replaced under warranty. I agree its up to debate, since that comment was subjective based on our experience with only a 16 MY gm full size, the 17-19 could very well be improvements but we havent tried any. Tech is very good for the full-size market, but why get one now if you can get the current gen heavily discounted by the time next gen trucks come along? Doing so would mean you know what the new platform’s going to offer and you’d be able to decide if its a worthwhile upgrade.

I don’t have that many complaints about current gen, but buffeting/vibration issues (that my family or friends personally don’t notice), lackluster exterior lighting for non-flagship trims and being up to date with the insane rate technology is progressing at today (e.g. Even better safety features - Supercruise in next gen trucks?) makes me personally want to wait to see what happens.

I read somewhere that the average income of Land Cruiser owners is higher than that of Lexus LX owners.

I agree with what At Law said, the design of the LC vs LX is a lot less muted and out there (e.g. Tahoe/Yukon vs Escalade or Expedition vs Navigator) and well off people in general don’t try to get the flagship or best of the best because they don’t need to prove themselves with possessions because they’ve already done so regardless.

OP
OP
At Law

At Law

Reaction score
How many people do you have to transport? How about on road trips?

I do not transport a large number of people. I do not have any kids.

I take clients once in a while in my vehicles.

The larger size is versatile for towing and cargo room as well as transporting golf clubs.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tl;dr My comment was purely subjective since we only owned a 16 Yukon from current gen. Could get the final MY of this gen when next gen is announced/on the lot to get an even heftier discount if the powertrain, tech, etc. arent worth the price delta. Thats how I’d go for it if I was looking for a gm full size now.

We bought a 16 Yukon which we’ve only had one issue with that still exists with even 2018 models iirc (water getting into the antenna housing) that was replaced under warranty. I agree its up to debate, since that comment was subjective based on our experience with only a 16 MY gm full size, the 17-19 could very well be improvements but we havent tried any. Tech is very good for the full-size market, but why get one now if you can get the current gen heavily discounted by the time next gen trucks come along? Doing so would mean you know what the new platform’s going to offer and you’d be able to decide if its a worthwhile upgrade.

I don’t have that many complaints about current gen, but buffeting/vibration issues (that my family or friends personally don’t notice), lackluster exterior lighting for non-flagship trims and being up to date with the insane rate technology is progressing at today (e.g. Even better safety features - Supercruise in next gen trucks?) makes me personally want to wait to see what happens.

I agree with what At Law said, the design of the LC vs LX is a lot less muted and out there (e.g. Tahoe/Yukon vs Escalade or Expedition vs Navigator) and well off people in general don’t try to get the flagship or best of the best because they don’t need to prove themselves with possessions because they’ve already done so regardless.

Unless you’re a full time baller like me and @noob LOL.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well off people in general don’t try to get the flagship or best of the best because they don’t need to prove themselves

Who cares about ‘proving yourself’....don’t you want all of the extras you can have if when money is no object? I bought a Denali because I wanted the extra HP and features not to prove anything....

Edit: though now that I’m thinking about it...I DIDNT buy the Escalade because it felt garish. Maybe you’re right after all lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan