Has Anyone Cross-Shoped The Land Cruiser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tl;dr LT Tahoe isn’t in the price range of the LC, a Escalade, Denali or RST is. If you go into rough terrain a lot, get the LC hands down. If you want a pavement queen that can deal with occasional snow/slippery terrain, get a 4wd gm full size. They’re both reliable powertrains, but Toyota’s reliability has the upper hand.

The price delta is because the LC comes with a 4WD system that has all the bells and whistles you’d need to go anywhere. Sure you can get a gm full-size with 4WD, but it wouldn’t be nearly as capable (or reliable with more moving parts). Compare the LC’s 4WD with the likes of range rovers and g wagons, by then it would seem the LC is worth every cent (and it is).

Where I’m from LCs are plentiful and, as mentioned by others, they’re reliable and last a long time. We went with a Yukon since we don’t need 4WD and price for price, the Yukon is better equipped for less. At 75k, the LC is competing with the 6.2/10spd Denalis, RSTs and Escalades, not a normal 5.3/6spd Tahoe or Yukon.

All in all, test drive and see what you like best, but a 5.3 LT Tahoe and 5.7 LC are not in the same price range and shouldn’t be compared. We compared a 4.6 V8 LC to a 5.3 SLT Yukon, both within $1k of each other, and we went with a Yukon because of passive entry, cooled/heat seats, carplay (at the time, its available now iirc - AA still isn’t though), more power, better fuel economy, safety systems (e.g. lane keep), and so on.

I’ve ranted on, but its because we’ve actually compared the two. The only feature the LC does better is it has superior (compared to non-HID GM full sizes) exterior lighting stock for stock.

Solid, pragmatic post. Nice.

It will be interesting to see what the next gen land cruiser is like. The current model is a decade old and reaaalllyyyy shows its age as you note.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Good point that the Sequoia is more comparable to the Yukon. I test drove one and , as mentioned, was surprised at Toyota’s old tech, lack of power, etc. in comparison.

If I remember correctly, the Sequoia was cheaper than a Denali, while the LC was more expensive.

OP
OP
At Law

At Law

Reaction score
The Land Cruiser has been around for a number of years, essentially unchanged. However, there was a large refresh in 2016 on the body and the interior.

Some of the appeal of the LC is its timeless aging. In fact, the older a LC gets, the better it looks, if properly maintained. Re-sale reflects this as well.

Tahoe/Yukon is in the same arena re classic styling. They have done body changes over the years, of course, However, nothing overly significant. Also if well cared for, the Tahoes, etc., age very well.

The only exception is the Escalade. Just as the nature of an Escalade, it seems to date the most based on its trendier styling on the exterior and interior. Not a bad thing, just more flash which tends to be ever-changing in style.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to have had a Land Cruiser. I found the price to be $17,000 - $19,000 more than an LTZ Tahoe, but more like $25,000 - $29,000 more than a well-optioned LT, which is what I wound up with. I simply could not abide the price difference.

Nothing bad to say about Land Cruisers, though. The tech is a little dated, but to my eyes they did a tasteful job with the interior design that ages well, contrasting with the awful interior on the Sequoia that looked dated to me the day it came out in 2009.

The people I know who have Land Cruisers love them. I see old ones on the road all the time. I see old Tahoes too, to be fair.

But boy are Land Cruisers expensive. I did find my mind back on the Lexus GX in this analysis. It has much of the same appeal in its favor that the Land Cruiser has, but for whatever reason it's not as laughably priced. I realize the GX and the Land Cruiser are different platforms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
At Law

At Law

Reaction score
I would love to have had a Land Cruiser. I found the price to be $17,000 - $19,000 more than an LTZ Tahoe, but more like $25,000 - $29,000 more than a well-optioned LT, which is what I wound up with. I simply could not abide the price difference.

Nothing bad to say about Land Cruisers, though. The tech is a little dated, but to my eyes they did a tasteful job with the interior design that ages well, contrasting with the awful interior on the Sequoia that looked dated to me the day it came out in 2009.

The people I know who have Land Cruisers love them. I see old ones on the road all the time. I see old Tahoes too, to be fair.

But boy are Land Cruisers expensive. I did find my mind back on the Lexus GX in this analysis. It has much of the same appeal in its favor that the Land Cruiser has, but for whatever reason it's not as laughably priced. I realize the GX and the Land Cruiser are different platforms.

I agree with everything Wilco writes.

The Land Cruiser is significantly higher priced than even a loaded LT Signature and / or LTZ.

The Tahoe is an outstandingly sharp looking vehicle, very reliable, has excellent resale, and a very traditional SUV. Additionally, outstanding MPG considering the size of the V8's.
There is a reason Mercruiser and Volvo use the GM blocks for their marine engines. Reliability.

Very tough choice. I will decide shortly.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread because you never hear of a Land Crusier being compared to anything, at least I never have, its more the Sequoia which in Canada does not sell very well Only 350 units a month, the Land Cruiser is not sold at all, in may be in fact special order. While the older models have been sold they certainly may be built well but its no match for a Salt and Northern Winter as it has the same issues as the Toyota Pickups. Also isn't there some number lx?? Lexus that is the same but even higher priced?

Dooba

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread because you never hear of a Land Crusier being compared to anything, at least I never have, its more the Sequoia which in Canada does not sell very well Only 350 units a month, the Land Cruiser is not sold at all, in may be in fact special order. While the older models have been sold they certainly may be built well but its no match for a Salt and Northern Winter as it has the same issues as the Toyota Pickups. Also isn't there some number lx?? Lexus that is the same but even higher priced?
LX570, the interior between an LC and LX is a night and day difference bear in mind. Same powertrain overall. Though going into LX (or even LC) territory you’re better off getting the new Navigator for ultra luxury for less. I wouldn’t recommend buying any gm full size at this point unless its an absolute deal since a refresh is coming in fall 2019/2020. Even then, I’d wait til the second model year just to be safe.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend buying a full size GM SUV now, 2017-2019, much of the bugs are worked out. Every vehicle has issues and every new redesign is risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons