Has anybody ever replaced their antenna wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1FUNAWD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I posted here only because I assume the whole dashboard needs to come out? When I bought my 'hoe, the radio antenna was broke clean off the cowl. I had bought an oem replacement that came with a foot of wire, so I thought I could just fish it through the firewall, but noooo. WTF...what's the best way? R&R the whole dashboard and hvac box? Oh yeah....fender too?!

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you, but I am in the process of shaving my antenna for a hidden antenna. The amplified glass mount antennas aren't too great if you have an aftermarket stereo. Depends on your tastes though. For me the amplified noise/ static drives me nuts. I just ordered a Tune Trapper antenna and hope it works better.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the amplified glass antennas on our golf carts and boats and have no noise what so ever, also picks up radio stations better on the water. Maybe yours was installed wrong.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the amplified glass antennas on our golf carts and boats and have no noise what so ever, also picks up radio stations better on the water. Maybe yours was installed wrong.

Really depends on the area and the broadcast. I'm far from broadcast stations and amplified antennas don't work well. If you research them, most will agree they shouldn't be used with today's aftermarket receivers but to each his own. If it works for you, then great. I don't care for their unreliable performance.

OP
OP

1FUNAWD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't even think to go that route, but I might just to save the headache!

Time2Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do this swap and learned the HARD way what not to do.

You need to pull the dash cover off (its easy, pop Radio bezel off and its just a few screws on front edge and slips right off). You then need to find the end of the antenna wire (near the passenger a pillar). Before you disconnect it from the main wire that runs to the radio, tie a string/fishing line around the end that you're going pull out. Once you have the line on it, disconnect it then go unbolt the antenna mast and pull it out.

Now all you need to do is tie the line to the new antenna wire/mast and pull it back through.

I did it without tieing a line on it, and it took me almost two hours to try and reoute it back thru the dash. If you have a line on it, its a 5 minute job.

Time2Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the GM Instructions:

Radio Antenna Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the I/P trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Panel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Remove the antenna mast.
Remove the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
Remove the auxiliary battery, if equipped. Refer to Auxiliary Battery Replacement in Engine Electrical.

Remove the 3 bolts.
Remove the cable grommet from the body.
Disconnect the antenna cable from the extension cable.
Tie a long wire to the antenna cable.
From outside of the vehicle, pull the antenna base and cable assembly until the wire can be easily accessible.
Ensure part of the wire is still in the vehicle

Remove the wire from the antenna cable.
Installation Procedure
From outside the vehicle, tie the wire to the new antenna cable and base assembly.
From inside the vehicle, pull on the long wire until the cable can be connected and grommet seated.
Install the cable grommet to the body.

Remove the wire and connect the antenna cable to the cable extension.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the 3 bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

Install the auxiliary battery, if equipped. Refer to Auxiliary Battery Replacement in Engine Electrical.
Notice: Use tape on the tool surface so that you do not damage the paint on the antenna mast.

Install the antenna mast.
Tighten
Tighten the mast to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Install the outboard section of the cowl vent grille panel.
Install the I/P trim panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Panel Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

OP
OP

1FUNAWD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to do this swap and learned the HARD way what not to do.

You need to pull the dash cover off (its easy, pop Radio bezel off and its just a few screws on front edge and slips right off). You then need to find the end of the antenna wire (near the passenger a pillar). Before you disconnect it from the main wire that runs to the radio, tie a string/fishing line around the end that you're going pull out. Once you have the line on it, disconnect it then go unbolt the antenna mast and pull it out.

Now all you need to do is tie the line to the new antenna wire/mast and pull it back through.

I did it without tieing a line on it, and it took me almost two hours to try and reoute it back thru the dash. If you have a line on it, its a 5 minute job.

Yeah I hear ya on learning the hard way. I tried the fishing trick and it somehow got stuck to where I had to pull the fish line off and now I'm stuck with an open hole and no antenna. I'm debating whether to spend a day trying to push the wire through or say screw it and go with the hidden antenna now.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Thanks again for the info guys! I'm just gonna say screw it and buy the hidden antenna and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094