hard water

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recently moved and have city and well water but, we have hard water. Well is for lawn and vehicles only, city is for in home use on a treatment system.

How much more of a pain is it to clean/detail with hard water?
Can you guys share your tricks of the trade when it comes to hard water?
Does it all come down to the drying of the vehicle?

I'm getting prepared for some detailing, my vehicles need a good cleaning. Have a foam cannon, clay on its way as well as a polisher/pads to try to get some shine back into the cars.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard water is a PITA. Gotta watch the well water as it tends to be pretty darn hard. At least here in Florida it will leave a yellowish/rust stain behind on fences, houses and cars if not dealt with right away. I am lucky or unlucky as it costs more, but I have city water to my hose taps. IMO it comes down to drying unless you spend some money to have a water softener, etc....

I do all the detailing, washing, etc...and dry the truck using a couple big waffle weave towels and what has become my favorite drying aid Lucas Oil Slick Mist spray. Use it right after you rinse off while the truck is wet and it helps the drying exercise, reduce the spotting and leave your paint smooth, slippery and shiny.

You can use it in between washings as a daily wipe down if the weather is nice enough and you have the time to do it before the paint gets too coated with dust or other contaminates requiring a full wash or rinseless wash. Good luck.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I'll invest in some nice towels, see if I can find some good deals online. I was looking into a deionizer. This may be some time down the road though, towels will do for now.

Have you used any type of blower to assist in drying?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hard water, too.

...But, it thaws out quickly enough in a lowball glass of Crown.
jester.gif

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
what has become my favorite drying aid Lucas Oil Slick Mist spray. QUOTE]

man who ever turned you on to the Lucas Slick mist is an ok guy lol :chewie:..... @992dr I have terrible water and yes the only way to combat it without a filtration system is to ALLWAYS dry it. and be sure to keep it waxed so the water will just kind of run of and make drying easier. I love the slick mist as a drying aid as it also leaves behind some extra protection!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid washing in the sun. If hard water dries on your paint especially on dark colors it will be a pain to remove. The calcium in my towns wells is incredible so if i have to wash in the sun i keep the washed areas wet while i do the rest and then pull it into the garage to dry it. I`m lucky and my yukon is silver so it doesn`t get very hot too quickly.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man who ever turned you on to the Lucas Slick mist is an ok guy lol :chewie:..... @992dr I have terrible water and yes the only way to combat it without a filtration system is to ALLWAYS dry it. and be sure to keep it waxed so the water will just kind of run of and make drying easier. I love the slick mist as a drying aid as it also leaves behind some extra protection!

I'm definitely going to get some Lucas slick mist.
Looks like I'll be investing in some nice towels to, hahaha.

Avoid washing in the sun. If hard water dries on your paint especially on dark colors it will be a pain to remove. The calcium in my towns wells is incredible so if i have to wash in the sun i keep the washed areas wet while i do the rest and then pull it into the garage to dry it. I`m lucky and my yukon is silver so it doesn`t get very hot too quickly.

Sucks because I'm at the very early stages for building a garage. I'll be looking into one of those pop up canopy until I get some concrete poured and at least some walls put up.
Our water is pretty bad to and both of our cars are black, yay hahaha.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it very much.

iamdub, I like it, wish the pic worked though hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3