Haptic Motor Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey Lynch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure whether to post this here or the "Interior" thread. I'll start here and apologize if I got it wrong!

I recently bought a 2015 Yukon XL. I bought it knowing that the "Service: Driver Assist System" error was showing and I understand that this is a very common issue. I replaced the wiring on the haptic motor as detailed in the following video:

I have tested the motor by applying 12v leads from a battery into the plastic connector. The motor and wiring are both doing their job when power is coming directly from the battery. Also, the dash is no longer showing the "Service: Driver Assist System" alert.

Unfortunately, when I cross the center line on the road, the Lane Departure indicator light changes from green to amber and flashes, but the motor doesn't actuate. I tested the leads on the motor and see 0v being applied to the motor on the left side of the seat. The right side motor works fine.

User gary41 indicates at the bottom of this post (I understand this is Cadillac, but I assume all GM haptic feedback design is generally the same) that a non-operating haptic motor can cause damage to the seat control module: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-730154.html

Am I headed in the right direction? And how can I test this?

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I don't have this system, but driven an SLT with it.

Few questions, first of all, what would cause the wire to break like that? It looks like it was sheered in half!?

The Autel your using, what model is that and what did it cost? I'm looking for something for my '16 Yukon. Not entirely sure what to buy.
Thanks for the video, very informative.

Chris

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same message, the dealership during a recent oil change visit told me it was the left side haptic motor and presented me with a 450$ quote to get it fix
Interested to see if truly the motor, or a wiring issue?
Also, We have just ignored the "service driver assist" message we get int the HUD but can it really damage the seat module?

thx

OP
OP
C

Casey Lynch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
$450 seems pretty high for a repair. On mine, the wire on the haptic motor sheered off right at the pigtail where the wire enters the motor housing. Presumably, this happens because the 24G wire flexes just a little each time you get in and out of the vehicle and simply breaks off over time. 24G isn't thick enough to withstand that kind of repeated abuse. I personally think GM should recall those systems and replace them with properly engineered components. But what do I know. :)

As shown in the video (that isn't my video, by the way, Kittmaster. I just found it on youtube.) I pulled the leather back on the seat and removed the motor. I decided to reuse the old motor so I opened up the motor housing, desoldered the old wiring and soldered new thicker wires to the leads. I do know my wiring is good because, as I said, the motor works when connected directly to the battery. It depends on how handy you are, but for me saving $450 for an hour's worth of work is time well spent. And I could totally just let this go. It's a novelty that I can do without. But I don't like to have broken things.

From what I have read, normally just replacing the motor or wiring fixes the problem. I only found the one reference mentioned above to the control module. So that leaves me now with the control module I guess! Not sure how to troubleshoot that though. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Ah, I thought it was yours, still good info for those that need it..... :)

Bvaden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure whether to post this here or the "Interior" thread. I'll start here and apologize if I got it wrong!

I recently bought a 2015 Yukon XL. I bought it knowing that the "Service: Driver Assist System" error was showing and I understand that this is a very common issue. I replaced the wiring on the haptic motor as detailed in the following video:

I have tested the motor by applying 12v leads from a battery into the plastic connector. The motor and wiring are both doing their job when power is coming directly from the battery. Also, the dash is no longer showing the "Service: Driver Assist System" alert.

Unfortunately, when I cross the center line on the road, the Lane Departure indicator light changes from green to amber and flashes, but the motor doesn't actuate. I tested the leads on the motor and see 0v being applied to the motor on the left side of the seat. The right side motor works fine.

User gary41 indicates at the bottom of this post (I understand this is Cadillac, but I assume all GM haptic feedback design is generally the same) that a non-operating haptic motor can cause damage to the seat control module: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-730154.html

Am I headed in the right direction? And how can I test this?
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same problem after replacing the haptic motor with a brand new one. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum