Hacked wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

laidbackbigun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a 8 gauge wire going to the charge lug on back of alternator that runs to the battery. The connector also has about a 12 gauge red wire coming out of it.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then the wire from the plug must go to your gauge. According to the diagram, that is all that is there. If you are overcharging then the regulator in the alternator is going bad. Just how high is it charging? All the way to 19 or somewhere closer to 14?

OP
OP
L

laidbackbigun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well b3fore I started taking everything apart to fix this beast the gauge would sit around 17 8 never hit it with a multimeter. Stupid me. I was hoping to wire this thing back up correctly and go from there ha

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was prob an issue with the factory wire in the loom somewhere or it wasnt charging enough so he ran a wire direct from batt to alt, i used to do this on all my plow trucks, especially the older ones.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take the alternator to Autozone or other autoparts store, they can test it and tell you if it is going bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep