Guess the sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... that makes me wonder... I have a "tinny" sound when I get on it... I assumed it was piston slap but I don't know that I've ever heard what piston slap actually sounds like. I wonder if it's just a heat-shield.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... that makes me wonder... I have a "tinny" sound when I get on it... I assumed it was piston slap but I don't know that I've ever heard what piston slap actually sounds like. I wonder if it's just a heat-shield.
check around the back of the engine bay and down towards the exhaust manifolds, I had mine smacking against the exhaust before just bent it back a little and noise was gone, but the sound it made was terrible

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get on it? Sure its not pinging? Just an idea...

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have access to a scan tool to check, easy route is to toss premium in there next fill up and evaluate
I have a Tech 2, where do I check for that?

Am I just looking at timing numbers or is there a specific place/procedure to watch for detonation?

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
There should be something in there to let you see live data. Look at misfires, timing advance, and knock retard. Also pull up your oxygen sensor voltage. If it's hanging near 0v, it's lean. If it's hanging near 1v, it's rich. Bouncing between the two is normal, if it's constantly at one extreme or the other, it might warrant further investigation.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I was having the Yukon transmission and transfer case flushed today so I drove the Silverado around and kept hearing a rattling noise (again), thought maybe the heatshield had come loose again, got underneath there and banged on it nope...this time it was a broken heat shield on the driver side cat, only rattled under load. went by the muffler shop and they :weld: it back up for free. now I think it needs a a/c tensioner sounds like your killing a cat for the first 10-15 minutes in the morning :violin2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98