Ground Locations...

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by lowpost99, Jul 12, 2019.

1. lowpost99

lowpost99 Member

Name:
    Morgan
    Ok guys, thanks upfront for the help. I think I may have made a mistake sometime back by moving these ground wire to this location. I don't think those bolts are actually on solid frame on the firewall. The red wire is an extension of my crankshaft position sensor wire, and the mesh steel braid is the trans ground strap I think. I want to move them to a better location... what are your thoughts on the frame location see zinc bolt by my thumb that I'm using for the engine ground which is part of my big 4 0 gauge upgrade.
    IMG_20190712_163817.jpg IMG_20190712_163843.jpg

Erickk120 likes this.
  2. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
    Name:
    Chris
    Quick brain dump for ya here: I don't decall if stock grounds use the frame or the body. But if they use the body and you're moving grounds to frame, be sure to ground body to frame too.

But anyways... Yeah I think your proposed ground would work. Just mind the routing of your wire as that could put you a little close for comfort in regards to your exhaust

3. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Full Access Member

Name:
    Joseph
    I agree with Snow. Make sure that there is a solid ground between the body and frame, and you should be good. And, of course, make sure that you have a solid metal-to-metal connection, protected from subsequent corrosion, wherever you actually secure the ground wires to the body or frame, and it appears that you did that. I have also been advised that for high-power applications, like a high power audio systems, the shorter the ground wire length, the better, whenever possible.

4. lowpost99

lowpost99 Member

Name:
    Morgan
    Ok, anyone know where the locations of the body grounds to the frame are? And are those bolts on the firewall good locations for body grounds or are they insulated too much?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019